🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » upwork link
Page options
l-laurence
Community Member

upwork link

I just need a link for a one time job!  I was told I could sign up w only my name to get a profile going but that is a pain & taking forever (like not approving my photo while it clearly shows my face photo & other issues). How can I create the simplest profile to get a link to forward (& be paid!) Thx!!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Virginia F wrote:

L L wrote:

Thx, Virginia. Yes, of course, full name. Client has all my educational & experience info and told me that all I need is some basic info to create a link. They work w upwork all the time so i don't know why he would say that. Most importantly, I can't get paid if upwork keeps losing my entered info. Who has the time??!?? Not I. Vexing. 

Many clients think that signing up as a freelancer is as easy as it is for them to sign up and post a job. It isn't.

UW is much more labor-intensive for the FL than for the client. And I imagine your situation is one of the less-common use cases. I can see where it would be maddening to feel tangled in red tape when you just want to get on with it. But once you have a profile established, then you have access to clients and projects here (beyond the one that brought you here), so hopefully, it'll be worthwhile.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mtngigi
Community Member

Not sure who told you only a name was needed. Everyone has to complete their profile, use a full last name (no initials) and wait for their account to be approved. There are no shortcuts.

Thx, Virginia. Yes, of course, full name. Client has all my educational & experience info and told me that all I need is some basic info to create a link. They work w upwork all the time so i don't know why he would say that. Most importantly, I can't get paid if upwork keeps losing my entered info. Who has the time??!?? Not I. Vexing. 

L L wrote:

Many clients think that signing up as a freelancer is as easy as it is for them to sign up and post a job. It isn't.

Virginia F wrote:

L L wrote:

UW is much more labor-intensive for the FL than for the client. And I imagine your situation is one of the less-common use cases. I can see where it would be maddening to feel tangled in red tape when you just want to get on with it. But once you have a profile established, then you have access to clients and projects here (beyond the one that brought you here), so hopefully, it'll be worthwhile.

Thx. Much success to you! :- )

OP, for what it's worth, it may be worth your while to build out that profile anyway. I don't know your situation, but I came to Upwork the same way you did, at the request of a client, not intending to use the site at all. I'd been freelancing full or part time for 25+ years. Two years later, I've made more than $100k through Upwork.

Wow, that's great. Well done!
Am frustrated but will have to finish it to get paid. Thx 4 sharing & continued success!

You know, I just noticed it only shows my initials. thx for that. not what i put in.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

I've shared your report with our support team and one of our agents will reach out to you shortly to assist you further with your concern.

Please, make sure you check resources in this post to help you get started.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Virginia F wrote:

Not sure who told you only a name was needed. Everyone has to complete their profile, use a full last name (no initials) and wait for their account to be approved. There are no shortcuts.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that you have to wait for approval if a client brings you to work on his/her job. You can only work with that client pre-approval, but I'm pretty sure you can work on that job regardless of approval.

Tiffany S wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that you have to wait for approval if a client brings you to work on his/her job. You can only work with that client pre-approval, but I'm pretty sure you can work on that job regardless of approval.

Yeah ... I forgot about that. But it sounds like something her client is not aware of either.

Virginia F wrote:

Yeah ... I forgot about that. But it sounds like something her client is not aware of either.

You're right--that's probably what went wrong. The client probably needed to send her an invitation link.

U guys r awesome. Will check that out.
Thank you!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths