Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upwork payment guarantee - a nice joke

patir
Ace Contributor
sunaram p Member Since: Sep 6, 2015
1 of 34

alright, i have been keeping something to myself about a project i did 2/3 months back.

a client hired me for an hourly project, verified her (let's assume it was really a "she") payment method.

i started and worked worth $300+ in the first week. then came notification from upwork saying there is some issue with the client. when i asked her she said there was some issue with her ID/payment method which she hoped to get fixed soon. she said she already sent her verification doc. and she suggested me to work on the project under a "colleague"of her. Her "colleague" hired me for the same project and that project was suspended for the same reason as well. I didn't work much there since I was already suspicious.

please note that payment was verified/unverified for a week or so after that (it kept changing).

now my question is, what is the upwork payment guarantee for if not for such cases? if you are going to pay us only if you can get the money from the client, why call it payment guarantee at all?

i didn't raise any complaint on it because i realised she was a total fraud. she completely knew about the loopholes in upwork system and came to scam me and many others (i saw 3/4 more hires in the same week which somewhat raised my suspicion further).

ah, to top it, upwork went ahead and put a temporary hold on my financial transactions. i was yet to get a single penny from the client! it was resloved fast though. [thanks to the nice support team Heart

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 34

Upwork payment guarantee works fine. It has worked for me in the past, when Upwork paid me for hours worked, even though a client's payment method failed.

You yourself pointed out that there was something "suspicious" about this particular client, when she asked you to work for a "colleague" of hers... under "another" client account.

I appreciate and completely believe you when you indicate you are frustrated by what happened. I'm not sure that we're hearing the entire story here, though. There are certain conditions that hourly work must meet in order to qualify for Upwork's payment guarantee. Are we certain that all those conditions were met? Has Customer Support explained the reason why you were not paid for the hours that you worked?

patir
Ace Contributor
3 of 34

100% satisfied.

Never explained.

Colleague hired me in the 2nd week I think.

Now, you tell me why I wasn't paid?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 34

@sunaram p wrote:

Did you track your time with the tracker, had high activity levels and detailed work memos on all screenshots?

Are all screenshots clearly showing you working on the client's contract, no low activity, no screenshots without work memos, no manual time?

patir
Ace Contributor
5 of 34

@petra_r wrote:

@sunaram p wrote:

Did you track your time with the tracker, had high activity levels and detailed work memos on all screenshots?

Are all screenshots clearly showing you working on the client's contract, no low activity, no screenshots without work memos, no manual time?

Activity level almost at 10 all the time. 

Everything as required. No manual time.

patir
Ace Contributor
6 of 34

Now I am afraid to work on hourly projects from new clients.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 34

Sunaram, this page explains how the hourly protection works: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068288-Hourly-Protection-for-Freelancers

Here are some bullet points from this page:

To qualify for Upwork Hourly Protection a freelancer needs:

• An hourly contract
  • A client with a verified billing method
  • An account in good standing
  • To log your hours with the Upwork Desktop App
  • To be visibly working on a contract-related activity in your Work Diary
  • To annotate your Work Diary with memos or activities labels that adequately describe the activity performed
  • To maintain adequate and fair activity levels
  • To stay within the contract's weekly limit

In the following cases, you, the freelancer do not qualify for payment protection:

• Time segments in the Work Diary that don’t meet all of the qualification criteria above. For example, we exclude segments that are:
    • Added manually
    • Idle or empty
    • Over the weekly limit
    • Showing the freelancer engaged in non-work-related activity
    • Missing memos or have inadequately described memos
  • Payment for anything other than qualifying hours, including
    • Manual payments, including milestones, bonuses, and other one-time payments
    • Advanced recurring weekly payments not based on hours billed
  • Payments from clients who haven’t verified their billing method
  • Freelancers or contracts in violation of the Upwork Terms of Service
  • Instances in which you are aware of, or complicit in, another user's violation of the Upwork Terms of Service
  • Instances in which you are involved in fraudulent activities or abuse of the Upwork Hourly Protection program
-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
patir
Ace Contributor
8 of 34

I should have mentioned that the very first thing I read in a freelancing site is the payment related rules/policies!

So, I am aware of all the necessary conditions.

Only reason I kept quiet was I knew upwork could never recover the money from the fraud. But that makes me ask the question, "why any guarantee" at all?

Someone who said "it has worked for me". I should tell you that it has worked for me too. That was an old client whose payment method failed for a week. But I am 100% sure it was recovered in 10 days of time before I could withdraw it. Since his payment method was active again.

The question is what to do with new clients with hourly projects? You are always at risk of losing the money you worked for in the first week. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 34

@sunaram p wrote:

I should have mentioned that the very first thing I read in a freelancing site is the payment related rules/policies!

Then you can answer your own questions. If you meet all the requirements, you're protected. If not, you're not protected.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
patir
Ace Contributor
10 of 34

@Rene K wrote:

@sunaram p wrote:

Then you can answer your own questions. If you meet all the requirements, you're protected. If not, you're not protected.

Yeah, where is my money then?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS