Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

violation of 3rd party policies

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
11 of 23

Wilfrid F wrote:

Well, I didn't know university homework was a violation of 3rd policy. If a client is looking for a freelancer doing homework at his place, we should report it? This is very embarrassing because I hit a client who needs a summary of an academic article in french and I was very excited by the job, but now he is asking me to voluntary make errors because otherwise her foreign language teacher could suspect him not being the author of the writing. So ethically it's clear for me that I cannot say yes. But what about if I propose him to write the best summary possible -I mean obviously free of voluntary error of any kind-, as any consciencious freelancer would do, since he will be then the "legal owner" of the writing and so he will be free to modify the summary according to his "special" neeeds? Or should I ignore him and reject the job? 

Wilfred, 

I'm having a little trouble understanding what is difficult about this distinction. The terms are simple: if you are a student and you hand in someone else's work (including work you paid someone else to do) to an instructor (or a graduate advisory panel) to evaluate, you are commiting academic fraud. There's nothing particularly "philosophical" about it. In elementary school, this used to simply be understood as "cheating" and "lying about it".  If the client is asking you to make mistakes to make it look more authentic, this should be a huge red flag. The student is asking you to prepare the summary for him so that he can hand it in for his course. Is there something you didn't understand about this? And is there something you don't understand about this being academic fraud? 

The difference with people hiring ghostwriters outside of academic institutions is that they are not submitting work for evaluation by an academic institution in exchange for a degree. A degree is supposed to carry some indication of what you know and the fact that some academic institution has given their seal of approval that you do indeed know it.  

The type of academic fraud I run into frequently on the platform is people asking freelancers to do graduate-level aeronautic engineering and nursing homerwork and stuff like that. Personally, I don't like to think about those people being out in the world when I'm sitting in a plane or if I have to go to a medical clinic.  

I'm not sure why UpWork has chosen to include it in the policy, but it's on the same level as graphic designers creating fake medical school certificates and passports.

Filippo P Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
12 of 23

Ok, I understand the general policy here is no action rather than report.

Of course I cannot report all the job postings I do not like...

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 23

Filippo P wrote:

Ok, I understand the general policy here is no action rather than report.

No, that's not the general policy at all, and Preston does not speak for the community as a whole. Academic fraud means that you're helping someone cheat; there's no grey area there, it's just plain wrong and the institution that the student goes to would expel them on the spot. I and many others would - and do - report "projects" such as those.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 23

re: "No, that's not the general policy at all, and Preston does not speak for the community as a whole."

Look at the date stamp.

Filippo was replying to Mark's post.

Filippo P Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
BEST ANSWER
15 of 23

You guys are very nice, thank you all!

So I took a look at Upwork ToS and it is very clear:

You may not use, or encourage, promote, facilitate, instruct or induce others to use, the Site or Site Services for any activities that violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation; for any other illegal or fraudulent purpose or any purpose that is harmful to others; or to transmit, store, display, distribute or otherwise make available content that is illegal, fraudulent or harmful to others.

Then it lists examples in point 4.1.

The following [...] are prohibited [...] Seeking, offering, promoting, or endorsing and services, content, or activities that [...] would violate [...] (b) the terms of service of another website or any similar contractual obligations, or (c) the academic policies of any educational institution; [...]

And in point 4.3 explains what should be done:

If you become aware of any violation of these Site Terms or Use, you must immediately report it to Customer Service. You agree to assist us with any investigation we undertake and to take any remedial steps we require in order to correct a violation of these Site Terms of Use.

tldr Just to summarize, once again: Upwork Terms of Service obliges to report such activities and reserves the right to enforce its own Terms of Service.

Regards,

Filippo

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 23

Preston H wrote:

re: "No, that's not the general policy at all, and Preston does not speak for the community as a whole."

Look at the date stamp.

Filippo was replying to Mark's post.

Okay, sorry for misreading the date stamps, but I still disagreed with your posts and your advice.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 23

Then tell us: What is your position on these topics?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 23

Preston H wrote:

Leave it be. You are forever doing the "we / us" thing, pretending that you are speaking for the freelancers, the clients, Upwork itself even.

You're not. You have repeatedly defended academic fraud as nothing to concern oneself with in the past and the "ALL jobs on Upwork are unethical by someone's standards." nonsense is not getting any more relevant the more it is regurgitated.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 23

Petra R wrote:
You have repeatedly defended academic fraud as nothing to concern oneself with in the past and the "ALL jobs on Upwork are unethical by someone's standards." nonsense is not getting any more relevant the more it is regurgitated.

To which I'd add, what's relevant is whether a job violates one's own ethical standards, or Upwork's User Agreement & ToS. I can't resist pasting in possibly my favorite Shakespeare quote,

This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man.

20 of 23

Preston H wrote:

I believe that I was already pretty clear about my opinion. Sorry that I didn't have the inclination to write an unnecessarily lengthy post on the matter.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS