cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

violation of 3rd party policies

William F Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
21 of 23

I am having a related issue, which admittedly I may have walked right into.

A client is requesting me to publish a wikipedia page, a simple proposal which I accepted.
There was no inherent issue with the proposal, but it became increasingly apparent later that the client could not furnish the material which I specified was required from him/her when I accepted the proposal.
Without this material, his/her project would violate wikipedia's policies.

The client kept pushing me forward despite my repeated warnings, so I attempted to publish the article.
Then the Wikipedia article gets deleted, to nobodies surprise.

My issue now is how we resolve the issue of payment, do I
A. receive nothing, as I could not publish the article on the third party site.
B. Provide the draft and recieve payment because the user unintentionally violated Upwork TOS (4.1) for posting a project that breached a third party policy- directly resulting the projects failure.

I will of course try to negotiate with the client, but should the negotiations break down I need to be absolutely shure what my rights as a Freelancer user are.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 23

William F wrote:

A client is requesting me to publish a wikipedia page,

Writing Wikipedia pages is dodgy at the best of times...

I'd (personally) walk away from this.

William F wrote:

B. Provide the draft and recieve payment because the user unintentionally violated Upwork TOS (4.1) for posting a project that breached a third party policy- directly resulting the projects failure.

You violated the 3rd party policy, not the client.

Walk away and stay away from Wikipedia writing "jobs."

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
23 of 23

Hi William,

I'm sorry about the concern and issue you're having on your contract. Regarding the job and work provided being in line with Upwork ToS, our team will review all the details and follow up to advise directly.

Regarding your payment for the work you provided, note that, in general, if you can't resolve the issue amicably, we do have a dispute process in place in order to resolve any disagreement. Feel free to follow up if you'd like to receive more advice from us moderators and experienced users in the forums. We strongly advise against proceeding with providing work a freelancer suspects to be in violation of Upwork or other company's ToS and do encourage freelancers to reach out to us here in the forums, social media or directly contact and share all the information with Customer Support.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS