🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » w-8ben dutch freelancers business name
Page options
f957c3ae
Community Member

w-8ben dutch freelancers business name

Hello,

one quick question that might help all my fellow dutch freelancers as well.

In the Netherlands, one-man company freelancers are assigned a "business name" that can be used to trade and should be added to the invoice together with address, vat number, etc.

On upwork, when you fill the upwork w-8ben form, you are asked to add your passport name as "business name", but this would also reflect in the invoice which would become non compliant for our dutch legislation. 

In the chat, i've been told that it is fine to to put my "company name" in that field to fix the issue, and this would be fine for upwork. Can you please confirm that it is the case? 

Having a company name would not mean that one is not an individual, it's just a peculiarity of the dutch laws to give a name to a sole proprietorship. But I'd like to make sure it's not a misunderstanding

6 REPLIES 6
JoanneP

Hi Massimo,

I checked, and it looks like the team has already shared more information with you about the name to add to your W-8BEN Form. You may follow the instruction they shared with you to complete the form. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
giggi_freelancer
Community Member

Quindi? How did that work for you?

Same situation, not sure I understand what was the final conclusion.

If I understand correctly we:

- State our Name and Surname in the Account info

- State our company name (Eenmanszaak or Sole Proprietorship) in the W-8BEN form

Is this correct?

Why is this so counter-intuitive and we need to dig in old forum threads?

Hi Giulio,

That's correct. The name in the Contact Info> Name section of the Settings should be your full name as an individual. Then you can add your company name/legal name of business in the W-8BEN form. Your invoices will then display both in the following way:

FIRSTNAME LASTNAME
Business Name: LEGAL NAME OF BUSINESS
Address: YOUR TAX RESIDENCE (recommended) or  LOCATION

VAT ID (if added)

~ Valeria
Upwork
waqaskhan44
Community Member

Hey evryone,

I have a similar question to this. I registered with the KVK. Now i want to fill in W8BENE from. However what should i specify in the fedral tax coroporation option? Imdividual or a corporate as i am registered as freelancer

Best 

Waqas

Hey 

Did any of you firgured out the vat?

I am new to upwork and trying to figure it out.

Best 

Waqas

Hi Waqas,

All non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not U.S. persons. As a Freelancer, you may select "Individual" in that section. Let us know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members