🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » weekly limit 40h/w but can finish this within...
Page options
be6f3874
Community Member

weekly limit 40h/w but can finish this within 20hours. Is it okay to slow down work speed?

I know my client doesn't happy with this if he notices this but I find out that I totally finish this work faster than he thought.

The thing is that I don't have my next job yet and the hourly work rate is quite decent to me.

Is there any way to finish this job early and get 40h of work rate at the same time? or just finish the job around 30h?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The weekly limit is set at a maximum of 40 hours by default, so you shouldn't assume that the client is expecting to pay you for exactly that amount of time. If you decide to go ahead with this scheme and the client reviews your screenshots and work diary and sees you working very slowly, do you think it's likely that they'll give you a good review or ever hire you again?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
wescowley
Community Member

On an hourly project, you get paid for the time you work. So if the job only takes 30 hours, you only bill 30 hours. If I were the client, I'd be happy with paying for 30 hours vs 40, assuming the quality is good.

ceefaeca
Community Member

It is unethical. You are getting paid for your time, and if you try to record more hours than you actually worked you are doing really bad with the client. 

Please think about the situation where you hire someone for your work and they charge you for 20 hours more than they actually worked, because of that reason same as yours - "they didn't get their next job yet!".

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "weekly limit 40h/w but can finish this within 20hours. Is it okay to slow down work speed?"

No.

The weekly limit is set at a maximum of 40 hours by default, so you shouldn't assume that the client is expecting to pay you for exactly that amount of time. If you decide to go ahead with this scheme and the client reviews your screenshots and work diary and sees you working very slowly, do you think it's likely that they'll give you a good review or ever hire you again?

I thought 40hours is expecting time for finishing the job.

It would be better just to do my work with quality. thanks!

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Think long term and be honest with all your clients. Your focus should be to build a reputation with this client and also on the platform so you can get more work. 

For a web designing project or creative projects you can expect the client to get back with revision requests and you will be able o log more hours. 

Focus on delivering quality work and being honest!

I am certain that Ian (the original poster of this thread) is going to do a fine job working on behalf of the clients who hire him.

He simply misunderstood what was meant by the "maximum number of hours allowed per week" number meant.

Many other freelancers have posted a similar question in the Community Forum, thinking that this was a "target" or "expected" number of hours per week.

c63ea194
Community Member

Ian K wrote:

1. I know my client doesn't happy with this if he notices this...

2. Is there any way to finish this job early and get 40h of work rate at the same time?

1. I think this answers your question.

2. 40h weekly limit means nothing at all. It 's the default setting by system. Probably client didn't notice that at all. You are not supposed to work full 40h, nor 1 full week. You are supposed to work with normal speed, until the project finishes.

Millions of projects on Upwork have 40h weekly limit, but are completed in less than 10 hours.

For projects than need more than 40h of work, freelancers speek with clients in order to arrange a schedule in 1 or more weeks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members