cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

well i NEVER!! HMPH.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 25

so I applied to a little commenting job and was told Declined by client: All positions filled 4 days ago. 

that's fine. 

but today as i'm scouring the jobs .. i see the exact same post by the exact same company wanting freelancers with the lowest rates.

can they decline saying positions filled when really they might have thought my rate was too rich for their blood? I didn't my rate was unreasonable even though it is over the suggested minimum wage on upwork.... can they say positions are filled and then turn around a few days later and post the same job? 

Highlighted
Liz C Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
2 of 25

I've been there! It's not only offensive to be lied to, but it's disrespectful for a potential employer not to give you truthful feedback or criticism. It's very common for my "declines" to all state: Chose another freelancer - with no note or explanation as to why. At least if the employer mentions it's because of the rate, that's honesty I can respect and then that gives me the option to decide if I'd like to negotiate with them or pass up the opportunity.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 25

I agree. Not that clients have to tell the truth but it would be nice. 

I felt like using up my coins and applying back but it's not use because I don't like that potential client now anyway so why waste my time and coins... 

I was wondering why they wouldn't say that my rate is too high, I don't mind lowering it a smidgen if I have good vibes..it's not like the rate I posted was 20 bux an hour, it was much more reasonable than that..

when they do things like that to people like us it's their loss, they could have had some pretty cool honest people working for them but nooooooooo... they wanna do things the hard way... lol. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 25

You said it was a commenting job. Was it someone wanting you to post comments on blogs/newspaper comment sites etc? If so, those are best avoided.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 25

Not sure if im allowed to say.... so for now I can't say yes or no... But curious as to why ppl should avoid them Fergus?

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 25

Because it's basically spamming, and the clients tend to be like all spammers - unethical and exploitative. They'll probably cheat you at the first opportunity, and anyway do you want to be one of the people every blog owner in the world snarls frustrated hatred at every time they check their pending comments list? My Akismet is constantly clogged with comments like "I like very much your great article. Follow link to buy best designer handbag." **edited for Community Guidelines** Nobody who owns a site with a comments section wants paid commenters spamming it. Stick with proper writing jobs at decent rates; you'll make more money in the long run (and probably in the short run as well).

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 25

I would NOT want to post those kinds of comments! No WAY! Regular off the cuff type comments yes. I'm great at that. Thanks for the heads up!

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 25

Oh gods no, I spend far too much time posting comments as it is. Getting paid to do it would just encourage me. I'll stick to true-crime eBooks and blog posts about e-cigs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 25

if only i had the talent for e-books Fergus..sigh.. well maybe when i'm older- if i can still remember how to type that is... 

i used to do up to 2000 comments (well maybe they were more email-ish than comments) a week and even though i did end up going insane it was a lucrative career... and i still would comment on my facebook profile

but i really don't want to do the type of comments you mentioned so again, thanks for the heads up. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 25

Didn't you say you were a dating gal? That stuff is insanely popular. You should give it a shot if you have the time.

I met a pretty awesome chick through Demand Studio. She was an accountant and just happened to be awesome at writing smut. lol She hit the top authors list on Amazon and landed herself a Harlequin publishing gig. I love her to death. 

You should give it a shot.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS