cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where in user agreement/terms of service are chargeback issues with freelancers addressed

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
11 of 14

Thanks everyone.  I think it is going to be okay for me - I had scads of communication with client that I sent to Upwork and it seems like they are more than satisfied I did everything I could.  They are going to cover the chargeback.  This was a situation where the actual client passed me off to someone else to work with because he was too busy, then that person got too busy but told me to keep working....and then basically quit replying to my questions and updates.  These people are the smartest of the smart - MIT, Harvard, etc.  Maybe they had a conflict with each other and this is the way they chose to "resolve" it?  Anyway, I've asked the Upwork person who is working on it to advise me on what I can do so this never happens again (to the extent possible I guess).  I do think Upwork should make it clear in the user agreement/terms of service that just because a payment has been made - perhaps long ago - it doesn't mean the freelancer is entirely in the clear.  I would be interested to hear what an attorney thought of the way it is addressed or not addressed now in the user agreement/terms of service.  What if everyone did this and you had to give back ALL your earnings? Smiley Indifferent 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 14

I think the only "safe" way is to work only hourly jobs and stick strictly to the rules, no manual time, no fixed rate contracts.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
13 of 14

You are correct Petra, and I'm sorry if my statement was confusing. I have edited my post so as not to create confusion over the matter. 

Lee Ann, I can see that you have provided more information and proof that you have worked on the contract and have submitted completed work on your open ticket. The team will use this information to be able to dispute the chargeback. If you have more information you can supply, please update the open ticket so that you can be assisted further. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
14 of 14

Thanks Avery.  I'll go rummage up some more evidence and submit it.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS