Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are desktop times in UTC?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dana G Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
1 of 14

Why is the desktop widget in UTC?  In fact, why is anything ever in UTC and not just in the time zone we're operating in?  For the widget, it's just unnecessarily confusing.  On the attached, for example, I've only worked about 10 minutes today, yet the widget says I've worked 40 since it's in UTC.  Similarly, whenever I work off-line, then go online, it never looks quite right because some of the hours were from the day before, IF I were in UTC.  Why not just have everything in my own time zone? 

I can't seem to find a setting to change this, or am I missing something?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 14

Hi Seth,

In order to avoid confusion between the freelancer, client and Upwork who all may be in different time zones, all reports and the Desktop App are set in UTC. You can view your Work Diary in your time zone or in UTC.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dana G Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
3 of 14

Thanks, Valeria.  I get the theory, but honestly, I've worked with clients all over the world, in many different time zones, including two who kept changing timezones during the engagement and frankly, the time of day just doesn't matter.  No one thinks in UTC time, they think in their own time and the other person's time and that's it.  I'd be interested to know what other freelancers think of this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
4 of 14

Seth:

For what it's worth, I don't think or operate in UTC.  I keep up with my time zone and my client's time zones and that is enough for me.

Highlighted
Ken R Member Since: Jun 5, 2016
5 of 14

Hi, Seth.

You mentioned, "I'd be interested to know what other freelancers think of this."

I've gotten used to the UTC distinction after working on Elance and Upwork for several years. (I have a friend who uses trading sites and they also follow UTC.) The only time it really bothers me is when it keeps me from adding any hours to the week on Sunday evening because the cutoff is at 7:00 pm instead of midnight.  (During daylight savings time that becomes 8:00 pm.)

My reason for coming to post on the forum, however, was to ask if Upwork can fix the desktop widget so that when the "Today" time resets to zero at "midnight UTC", it advances the day indicator after the word "Today," so that tonight, for example, it would have changed from "Today (THU)" to "Today (FRI)". Staying at the old value for one when it resets for the other is slightly annoying.

Ken R.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 14

Hi Ken, 

Thanks for pointing this out. I checked this with the team and they have mentioned that the app only updates the "Day" text when contract details are reloaded i.e. when you navigate to contracts and come back or restart app etc.

They have also confirmed that it tells you the local day at the time, which is confusing for users. We will file a report for this issue so that it can be investigated. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Creslyn Joy M Member Since: Dec 13, 2019
7 of 14

Hello Valeria, Why is it when a client checks on my time log, the client see it for only two hours on UTC, while I see it as fours hours on my local time? Would that affect my salary? I'm confused about the difference in the time we saw in my work diary. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 14

Creslyn Joy M wrote:

Hello Valeria, Why is it when a client checks on my time log, the client see it for only two hours on UTC, while I see it as fours hours on my local time? Would that affect my salary? I'm confused about the difference in the time we saw in my work diary. 

The workweek changeover takes place on Sunday. You probably have two hours billed to last week and two to this week. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Florence W Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
9 of 14

I came to this post, because my times are out of synch with my clock.  Being kind of new here, I don't want my new client to think I'm incompentent about some things and don't know how to set my time on UpWork correctly.  Has anyone had a problem with the timer issue and your client?  If so, how have you handled it - do you just tell the client, it's UpWork that's funky and not yourself (in a nice way of course  :-)  )

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 14

Hi Florence, 

Are you looking at updating your timezone? You may do that by going to your Settings > Contact Info > Location > Edit > and update the time zone entry according to your time zone. 

There's no need to adjust your time zone to your client's. Both you and your client have the option to view your Work Diary on each your timezons or in UTC. It would be best to communicate your time zone difference to your clients so that you can arrange your meetings and other schedules accordingly.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS