m15_mamun

why i am not getting job after applying 100 job?

I am mamun from Bangladesh.I opened upwork account in 2014.But till now i did not get any job.I applied about 100 job but no  one replied to me.In this situation i do not know what to do.

I hope you woud be kind enough to check my account and help me to resolve any issue if available.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks for reading my message.

33 REPLIES 33
kat303

It's impossible to answer yout questions as I don't know anything about you, even what you do. Your profile is private so I can't view any of your skills, experience, or your overview. I don't know how or what you're writting in your proposals.

Competion is brutal especially in certain categories. With the freelancer site, Elance closing the number of freelancers here has doubled. (or even more)

Getting a job depends on the category you're looking in, your skills and what you're including in your profile.

Mamun, your profile is set to private or otherwise blocked, so we can not see it to offer you advice.

The English in your thread post is very problematic. If that is how you write job proposals, then that could be a big part of your problem right there.

Why do you want to work on Upwork? Most people don't. If I failed at something one hundred times in a row, I would begin to wonder if I should try my hand at something else. Are you certain that this is your true calling?

My pofile is now at public mode.Please see it

You say you understand Penguin and everything you claim to do for someone for "SEO" is nothing but rubbish that could get them caught with a Penguin filter on their site. Fail.

Hi,

I don't think you're fluent in English. I'm fluent in English so this is why I say that.

I have no idea how you were able to ace the American English vocabulary test, but stranger things have happened. 

What I would suggest is to brush up on your English with Duolingo if you want to be fluent in English. It's a fun language program and it's absolutely free! 🙂 

If I'm being completely honest, Mamum, I noticed that you use the word "expert" 6 different times on your profile page, claiming to be an "expert" in 29 different skills.

These include 20 different SEO skills, plus: writing articles, MS Office (which has 4 major components plus minor ones), web design, Macromedia, HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, JQuery.

That's a lot of things to be an "expert" in. If you are serious about getting hired for your first job on Upwork, you need to change your profile so that it shows you are an expert in only one thing.

To quote the great swordsman Inigo Montoya:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Thanks a lot for going through my profile and suggest me.

"I am an active member of well-known SEO communities."

Are those the same communities that email me telling me that "although my website has a nice design, it doesn't rank highly for keywords related to my industry" and they'd be happy to conduct a free SEO audit that would normally cost $500, and then they email me back a few days letter checking if I had got their email as they had expected me to respond by now? The same communities that often  using multi-coloured text, a variety of asterisks, underscores and assorted other punctuation to highlight lines of text, using different names every time they email and always saying that they work for a prestigious SEO company but never actually mentioning the name of that SEO company? 

Are you a member of one of those communities?

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

NO

NO? 

What do you mean by that? Who are you answering? Are you saying no to everyone's reply? 

Mariska: Mamum is answering "no" to Scott E.'s question about whether or not he is associated with the SEO companies that send annoying spam to Scott. Mamum is not connected to sick groups.

oh okay. i didn't know there was a way to tell who his NO was pointing at. thanks Preston. 

The SEO industry is such a cesspool of fraudulent junk that real SEOs who have a clue what they are doing are moving away from calling themselves SEOs. 

4 years after Penguin was released and these jokers still do link building that gets people's websites curb stomped within a month. Anyone with half a clue knows that everything on that guy's profile will get you caught really easily.

If you have a website and you want it to last, don't do anything this guy is offering. 

javimoregarc

versailles

Mamun, I will be as much honest as it is possible without being edited by an Upwork agent here. 

You changed your profile. From a simple Google search I can see that you plagiarized the profile of another Upwork's top rated provider from Italy. I will report you to CS but from my past experience I suspect that they will do nothing about this. 

You probably have no marketable skills at all which is the reason why nobody is hiring you. You probably know nothing about SEO neither.

Now, even with your shiny brand new profile, stolen from a real professional, you are not going to score any gigs.

This is mostly because while you can steal a public profile, there is no way you can steal a cover letter. And considering the discrepancy between your poor English and the wording on your profile, it will be obvious for a client that you are not what you claim to be.

Good luck my man.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Unbelievable. He did totally redo his profile and plagiarized. I really don't know why Upwork gives people like this a second chance. Luckily, clients can see through it apparently.

Jennifer, that's why when someone comes here for an advice, the first thing to do is to check their profile for plagiarism. Considering the amount of fraudsters and idjits hanging on this platform, we may as well save some precious time and avoid helping those.

And professionals from Bangladesh, Pakistan and India are really suffering from this behaviour, since lot of those fraudsters are from their countries.

-----------

Rene, unfortunately, we see so many problem contractors specifically from these three countries that it is easy to conclude that the majority of contractors from these places really should not be on Upwork.

Among so many contractors, there seems to be a deep chasm of misunderstanding about what Upwork is. It is not a magical ATM machine.

Any contractor, from any country, should know that if you don't have some serious expertise of your own, and an ability to provide value to a client, without copying anything from anywhere else, then you're really not needed here.

I think Upwork's days of being patient with the scammer, no-talent contractors are wearing thin. One indication of that is Upwork's new requirements that contractors from certain countries submit identity verification before they can begin work.

I think Upwork will also need to begin scrutinizing new contractor profiles from these countries as well. The plagiarism of profiles and copy-and-paste mentality is rampant, and exceedingly annoying.

@Preston H wrote:

I think Upwork's days of being patient with the scammer, no-talent contractors are wearing thin.

If only the same could be said and done about the bogus clients as well . . .

One indication of that is Upwork's new requirements that contractors from certain countries submit identity verification before they can begin work.

I think Upwork will also need to begin scrutinizing new contractor profiles from these countries as well. The plagiarism of profiles and copy-and-paste mentality is rampant, and exceedingly annoying.

The problem with this is that the frauds will just create profiles in other countries.  I have pointed out instances of vast numbers of copycat profiles that list the United States as the freelancer's country.  Despite how obvious they are, Upwork has taken no serious action to stop them.  Your suggestion of profiling by country doesn't really do anything to help.

If you were stuck in the position of having to apply for more jobs, you'd have a better idea of just how poor the quality control is.

I suspect before too long all freelancers will be required to undergo ID verifiction....

There is no way in hell that I am sending off my personal private ID documents to Upwork to get verified.

Upwork is known for there shoddy programming / script kiddie level coding and there is no way I am giving hackers my personal details when the next massive DOS attack happens.

re: "There is no way in hell that I am sending off my personal private ID documents to Upwork to get verified."

John, don't worry. There is no way in hell somebody will think you stole either your profile text or your photo.

These are uniquely you, and inimitable.

Your photo is actually kind of perfect for you, because a client can see at a glance that they're hiring the ultimate coding beast.

lol preston

I was ID verified on Elance. I kinda wonder if I'll have to go through that again here. I don't really care either way as long as my account isn't on hold for a month during the process. 😕

Hi John,

We understand the security of the documents users send for the ID verification is very important and we make sure to provide strong protection for our users' private information. Upwork has a secure site that strictly protects users’ documents.

If you are ever asked to complete ID verification, your documents will be kept in encrypted form and only accessed by a limited number of employees who are working under strict security controls.  Upwork will dispose of your uploaded ID soon after it is verified. We keep it for the limited time needed for our business purposes of verifying user identities only and never share it with any other party.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria you simply did not understand what I mean.

If Upwork ever asks me to verify my identity, that will be the day I stop using Upwork totally because as I said there is no way in hell I am sending off my private info to Upwork. 

There are many other places like Strive, CodinGame, StackOverflow Careers, Toptal, Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Indeed and many others that all offer sort of jobs that from what I can see are far superior to the vast majority of job on Upwork.

Hi Valeria, nice to see you stepped in. While you're here, what about the original poster, his fake profile, and my report of his fake profile?

-----------

Hi Rene,

I will follow up with the team about your report.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

It's like Groundhog Day...

Why I am not getting job of SEO etc. Someone must check my profile

Your profile is set to private

You seem to have stolen/misrepresented your skills/profile/portfolio/education

Freelancer disappears...

Day in, day out, it's the same people from the same countries trying the same obvious little scams as though they're too clever for anyone to see through. Just once, I'd like one of them to say 'I cheated because I'm lazy and dishonest.' It never happens though, they just put their profiles back to private and continue to hope that a client genuinely believes that someone with the literacy level of a native-speaking five-year-old can get first place in English tests honestly.

re: "...what about the original poster, his fake profile, and my report of his fake profile?"

Rene, traditionally, Upwork has given contractors a few chances to refine their profiles and make them less fake. Sometimes intermediate measures are taken, which lie somewhere between "doing nothing" and completely terminating the account.

@Preston H wrote:

re: "...what about the original poster, his fake profile, and my report of his fake profile?"

Rene, traditionally, Upwork has given contractors a few chances to refine their profiles and make them less fake. Sometimes intermediate measures are taken, which lie somewhere between "doing nothing" and completely terminating the account.

Preston,

I've just had a private talk with Nino, one of the mods in the top rated forum about another case where one guy copy/pasted another profile, switched one or two words and added some capital letters.

They don't see it as plagiarism since it's not 100% identical.

-----------

@Rene K wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

Preston,

I've just had a private talk with Nino, one of the mods in the top rated forum about another case where one guy copy/pasted another profile, switched one or two words and added some capital letters.

They don't see it as plagiarism since it's not 100% identical.

That is unbelievable, and frankly a complete disgrace.

i think someone needs educating on what plagiarism is. I would not shoot Nino, as he is likely only the messenger, but  that is factually wrong! 

Rene, actions have been taken by the team regarding the profile that contains violations.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Preston H wrote:

Rene, traditionally, Upwork has given contractors a few chances to refine their profiles and make them less fake...

I agree, but had to laugh at the wording ...

"fake" is pretty much like "pregnant"

you either are, or not. 

😉