🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: why would Upwork allow a client to post a...
Page options
cf62a9d8
Community Member

why would Upwork allow a client to post a negative review, after settling a dispute?

My client recently disputed on me to get refund after he approved the payment and confirm the payment, we worked through the dispute I refunded $100 for work. My question is - why would Upwork allow a client to post a negative review, after settling a dispute? I have great reviews, but as you might expect, the review from this client is way below my others. To me, if we worked through the dispute and came to a mutual agreement why the dispute center allow to write me bad review.

when I ask to the client to change the bad review he requested me to refund him the whole payment.

With regards,

Amare A.

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Amare,

I understand your frustration with this. At the moment, when a contract is closed both parties are able to provide feedback for each other. 
However, thank you for your feedback I will share it with our team. 

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you,

Please  consder this issue.

This is not fair she asked me to refund full payment with out any reason to change the feedback.

Regards,

Amare A. 

Amare,

You're right - in some cases it is not fair that an unreasonable, etc. client should be able to leave negative feedback when the failures in a project were the client's fault. But that is not how Upwork has set up the feedback mechanism to work.

Keep in mind that we have been told on this board that even if your client did change their feedback for you, they could only change the public feedback. Their private feedback, which counts for far more than the public feedback in the calculation of your JSS, is not ever changeable.

If you decide to reply to the client's public feedback, keep your comments short, factual and professional. 

Good luck!

petra_r
Community Member

Amare A. C wrote:

My client recently disputed on me to get refund after he approved the payment and confirm the payment, we worked through the dispute I refunded $100 for work. My question is - why would Upwork allow a client to post a negative review, after settling a dispute

The feedback is basically where the client gets to state how their experience of working with you was. The contract lasted a fair while.

Amare A. C wrote:

I have great reviews

You also have very, very poor ones. And not just one or two.

I personally see a case for not allowing feedback after arbitration, but I do think not allowing feedback for disputes would just tempt freelancers who are expecting poor feedback to drag clients through a dispute...

Disputes cost Upwork money and make clients unhappy, so Upwork wants to avoid them. Anything that encourages disputes is a bad idea.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths