🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » working without a contract
Page options
negrivalentina
Community Member

working without a contract

Hi, I applied for a job, attaching voice over demo and translation of a text as requested by the client. A few hours ago the client sent me a message with the details of the job and the deadline of 24 hours (the work is so much, the pay is low, 24 hours are few, anyway ok, I accepted in any case) and I told him that I would start work from today, after receiving the contract via Upwork. The client has not even answered me....I’m getting the suspicion that he wanted to work without contract and .. probably without paying me! Just a few days ago a contract with another client (which was supposed to last 10 months) and was suspended, I worked a month, the customer does not pay me and I do not get any review.. Today this new customer does not send the contract. It seems to me that lately there is really little control over Upwork! Nobody likes to work for free! I’m a little down and scared and I don’t know whether to apply myself again or not

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Valentina,

I would advise you to start working only when you're hired on an official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required.

I would also like to clarify that requesting for free work is not allowed and it is in violation of our TOS. Our team will investigate this further and will take proper actions.

I would also recommend to check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. To learn more about how to protect yourself, you can check out the Safety First section Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Valentina,

I would advise you to start working only when you're hired on an official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required.

I would also like to clarify that requesting for free work is not allowed and it is in violation of our TOS. Our team will investigate this further and will take proper actions.

I would also recommend to check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. To learn more about how to protect yourself, you can check out the Safety First section Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, thank you so much for your reply. Just to clarify: I never took a job without a contract!  And I never will. 

I also want to send you the contact of the other contract that is now suspended and for which I did not get money from the customer. I attach the screen here. Many freelancers have been hired besides me...

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Valentina, 

Thank you for flagging this for us. We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to advise you regarding the status of the contract you're referring to. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Ok Bojan, thanks.

c63ea194
Community Member

Maybe he hired some other freelancer?

You can check this from the job posting page

It's also useful to check the count of interviews.

Some clients speak with many people, assign the job to one of them and don't response to the rest.

In any case don't ever start working without a contract, except from the case that you want to examine the project better (eg to see if you are really able to handle it), but in this case it's wise not to deliver anything to the client before the contract starts, except if you want to show him, with a small sample, that you can deal with the project.

Hi Ioannis, naturally I checked and he didn’t hire anyone. 

Anyway thanks for your reply!

tlbp
Community Member

You are the control. It's your business. You know not to begin work without an offer and verified payment method, so don't. Upwork can't monitor every negotiation to make sure freelancers remember to not begin work until they have a contract. 

Yes sure, Tonia, but this may not be a good reason to waste the connects that we Freelancers get and pay for!! I regret that Upwork is not able to monitor all the ads, this is obvious, but I also regret wasting time and connects hoping to get a job that I will never have! There are always two sides to the coin....

m_terrazas
Community Member

Valentina N wrote:

Hi, I applied for a job, attaching voice over demo and translation of a text as requested by the client. A few hours ago the client sent me a message with the details of the job and the deadline of 24 hours (the work is so much, the pay is low, 24 hours are few, anyway ok, I accepted in any case) and I told him that I would start work from today, after receiving the contract via Upwork. The client has not even answered me....I’m getting the suspicion that he wanted to work without contract and .. probably without paying me! Just a few days ago a contract with another client (which was supposed to last 10 months) and was suspended, I worked a month, the customer does not pay me and I do not get any review.. Today this new customer does not send the contract. It seems to me that lately there is really little control over Upwork! Nobody likes to work for free! I’m a little down and scared and I don’t know whether to apply myself again or not

As Goran said, asking for free work is against TOS.
One question, the voice test, was it about a specific text that the client sent you? The same for the translation.
I'm asking you because if the client has done the same test with several freelancers, it may be that he has already done the work he needed without having to pay anything.

Hi Maria, I’ll attach the link to your work, so you’ll have a more precise idea. 

I applied, and the client wrote me the message I attached yesterday. Of course he gave me all the details and files to work on and a deadline of 24 hours!! I told him that I would get to work as soon as he opened the contract on Upwork. Customer no longer answered. From the job posted you see that he interviewed 4 people but did not hire anyone. So, I believe that one of the other three Freelancers has done/is doing the job without a contract, probably without having thought that he will not receive any payment! I believe that, this is why there are works that have been published for two months.. and that customers do not cancel from Upwork simply because they got what they needed with a simple free interview. Unfortunately if there are Freelancers who are at this game, those who try to work seriously are cut off from the games!

Valentina N wrote:

Hi Maria, I’ll attach the link to your work, so you’ll have a more precise idea. 

I applied, and the client wrote me the message I attached yesterday. Of course he gave me all the details and files to work on and a deadline of 24 hours!! I told him that I would get to work as soon as he opened the contract on Upwork. Customer no longer answered. From the job posted you see that he interviewed 4 people but did not hire anyone. So, I believe that one of the other three Freelancers has done/is doing the job without a contract, probably without having thought that he will not receive any payment! I believe that, this is why there are works that have been published for two months.. and that customers do not cancel from Upwork simply because they got what they needed with a simple free interview. Unfortunately if there are Freelancers who are at this game, those who try to work seriously are cut off from the games!

Valentina, in the forum you can not put links from jobs or freelancers. They will always remove them.
So I have not seen the work. But it doesn't matter either because I guess what it will be like.
Read a lot of the forums, there are specific threads about fraud and deception (what happened to you is only one of them). And also the TOS. This way you can answer correctly if something like this happens again.
And, lesson learned. Now you won't fall for a sample delivery again. You already have voice samples in your portfolio. And you can add more. They do not have to be from any work done, read any text and upload it.

Avanti e buona fortuna!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members