Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: writing blog posts for client and then uploading to his blog

Highlighted
Rimza R Member Since: Aug 30, 2015
1 of 23

Hello!

is it ok to apply to a job in which the client asks to write blog posts and then upload them to his blog? (he has a verified payment method)

I was thinking, if I would post to his blog directly and he refuses to pay after getting posts then what proof would I have to claim against him and that I have delivered the work? 

are these kind of jobs scam or is there any way to secure my work before getting payment?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 23

Rimza,

If you have accepted the Upwork contract either on an hourly (tracked) or fixed-rate escrow basis, then you should be OK, but make sure that the blogs also get sent via the messaging system to the client.

Do not do any work for the client, unless you have had an official contract from Upwork, where you are asked to agree to the terms.

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
3 of 23

Rimza:

I have several clients that have me post directly to their blog.  I just make sure that escrow is funded (never write on an hourly basis) and then I write and post.

If they don't pay you, you can still issue a take-down notice since the copyright stays with you until you are paid.

Cheryl

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 23

Rimza, your question has nothing to do with blog posts.

Every job on Upwork, whether it is writing blog posts or fixing a web server or painting a book cover, requires trust between clients and contractors.

That trust must be earned.

Don't do a lot of work for any client without getting paid.

In your case, go ahead and write some blog posts as the client asked.

If the client pays you as promised, continue working for her. Otherwise, don't work for her any more.

If a client doesn't pay you for your work, you own the work. Use it in your portfolio.

Highlighted
5 of 23

Cheryl thanks alot  for your valuable reply.

"never write on an hourly basis"

would you plz explain it. I mean why not to write on hourly basis ? 

and when u post directly on client's blog , do u submit same blog posts in  milstones to get payment? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 23

Rimza, I think Cheryl meant that she doesn't ever work on an hourly basis - a lot of us don't. We prefer a fixed rate with escrow funded.

But you must work the way you are most comfortable with. However, to be guaranteed payment, you must work within Upwork's system: First you must accept the offer officially sent by your client through Upwork, and then work (according to what you have agreed with your client) either on an hourly basis with the tracker turned on, or on a fixed-rate basis, with escrow funded before you start working.

Edited to add: There are other ways of being paid, but these are not guaranteed by Upwork, so it is better to stick to the first two, unless you are really confident about your client.

Highlighted
7 of 23

thanks alot Nichola Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
8 of 23

Rimza:

I am a first class forum and Water Cooler lurker.  I notice things that cause people problems and avoid them.

I have only ever had 2 jobs on a hourly basis as a writer.  I also don't write on a per word basis.  Not all words are created equal.

I operate this way because I quickly noticed that the only writers that ever seemed to get scammed are writers that worked on hourly jobs.  That's because they submit work outside the platform or don't use the tracker.  Personally, I am NOT ever going to download any software to "spy" on my work.  I frequently have multiple screens open becaue I work for more than one client at a time.  Just the way I roll Smiley Surprised)

So, when I prepare a proposal for the job, I figure how much time it will take me and multiply that by my hourly rate and then add on fees.  Once awarded, I don't begin work until escrow is funded.  I have found that clients like the simplicity of the arrangement and are reassured by the fact that I include up to 2 edits at no charge in my fixed price. If the job says it is hourly, I let them know in my proposal that I am proposing a fixed price and that it is for their benefit as well.  Working on a fixed basis, they know exactly what an article or paper will cost them before work begins.

Hope this explanation helps you understand how I came to my decision.  By the way, I have yet to be scammed but I have been approached by scammers.  My approach causes them to move on quickly to the next target.

Highlighted
9 of 23

thanks alot Cheryl Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
10 of 23

Rizma,

There are many hourly jobs and if you accepted the job through Upwork there is no reason to not work on an hourly but for preference. Upwork hourly work is guaranteed as long as you run the tracker. Uploading to the customer's blog should not be an issue either. There is a lot of work besides writing on Upwork and if part of the job description is writing blog articles and uploading them to his blog there should be no issue if you are running the tracker when you are doing this.

If you are not paid you can dispute it either way.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS