cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writing blog posts for client and then uploading to his blog

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 23

I have hired writers to work using an hourly contract.

They did some work for me, were paid for their time, and that was the end of it.

I'm sorry to hear that there are bad clients out there who have hired writers on an hourly basis and abused the system. But I don't think all hourly writing jobs are bad.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 23

"I'm sorry to hear that there are bad clients out there who have hired writers on an hourly basis and abused the system. But I don't think all hourly writing jobs are bad."

Preston, with respect, nobody has suggested that clients hiring on an hourly (tracked) basis have abused the system. My response to the OP was to make sure she was working within the system whatever her preference. Others have also added their own working preferences.

I think the point of the answers to the OP, is to help her avoid problems by sticking to the system, whether she works on an hourly or fixed-rate basis.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
13 of 23

I think Cheryl indicated never to work on an hourly (but think it was her preference) I believe this is what Preston was commenting on. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 23

edited because it makes some degree of sense now

Community Guru
15 of 23

Actually Cheryl stated:

I operate this way because I quickly noticed that the only writers that ever seemed to get scammed are writers that worked on hourly jobs.  That's because they submit work outside the platform or don't use the tracker.  Personally, I am NOT ever going to download any software to "spy" on my work.  I frequently have multiple screens open becaue I work for more than one client at a time.  Just the way I roll Smiley Surprised)

And her reason follows after with because they don't use the tracker or submit their work outside Upwork. But that is not the hourly rate, that is plain ignorance of the system.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 23

Ah, makes some sense now. Thanks Suzanne Smiley Happy

It really boils down to personal preference - used properly hourly contracts are arguably "safer" but I understand that not everyone likes the intrusive nature of the tracker. I guess after 6500+ tracked hours I just got used to it!

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
17 of 23

Cheryl should really quit her job as a writer, as she was clearly not able to express herself in writing.  Perhaps she should go back to lurking!  She should certainly stop referring to herself in the third person.

To clarify, when I started using the E-Lance and later the Upwork platforms I invested quite a bit of time lurking in the forums to learn from the mistakes of others.  I might not comment much, but I ready almost everything.

I also noticed a pattern in problems with writing jobs.  It seemed that people who worked on hourly jobs were more easily scammed.  I didn't see writers that worked on escrowed jobs complaining about how they didn't get paid for their work.

I deduced (rightly or wrongly) that by working on hourly jobs it was easier to convince the writer to work outside of the platform.  I saw terms like "being in a rush" "need for immediate turn around" used. I also saw people starting work before the job was awarded...but that is a story for another day.

At the same time, I noticed that people complained about the tracking programs not working properly and discovered that the programs took screenshots. Some may not be bothered by intrusive software that doesn't work properly.  Some may like Limburger cheese. I am not in either category.

Based on these patterns, I decided for my own purposes that #1 I would never install any tracking program

#2 I would never work on hourly jobs

Since that time I have been invited to jobs that were clearly scams. When I asked them to fund escrow before work, they disappeared.

I understand that many people work hourly jobs using intrusive, glitchy software. Good for them.  I am glad they are finding success.  However, my path to success is different.  Based on my observations and experiences, when asked how I would handle a situation I responded.

Now, I think I have an allergy writing job on another platform that needs my attention.

Have a great rest of the day y'all!

Community Guru
18 of 23

Petra,

I have no issues with the tracker either. I don't have the amount of hours as you but I have 3200+ hours on Upwork with the tracker and I have always been paid. It doesn't bother me that it takes a screenshot. 

Cheryl,

You made laugh with the third person.. Third person always made me wonder if someone had split personalities lol...

It is your choice and your right to work fixed price. I feel the way you do about hourly about fixed. I know with hourly I am guaranteed to be paid, but with fix you still have no guarantee even with escrow if they decide you didn't do what they wanted.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 23

Working with the tracker really  does depend on the work you are doing. I (and I am sure a client) would find a tracked hourly rate for the translation of a novel, for example, almost impossible and extremely expensive for the client!

Rukyat R Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
20 of 23

Hi there,

I am new to Upwork.

I have been working for a client for 2 weeks now and I have no clue on how to log in my timsheet,

Help please!!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS