🐈
» Support » Known Issues and Workarounds » Desktop App: Checking if the site connection ...
Page options

Desktop App: Checking if the site connection is secure

Some users may experience issues with the Desktop App.

Error message: "Checking if the site connection is secure"

Screenshot of the issue: 

andregutierrez22_0-1682112552211.png

Our engineers are investigating this issue and we'll update this thread once we have more information.

UPDATE as of June 1, 2023

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Because this particular issue is related to Cloudflare, it is beyond our control to directly fix or improve it. There can be various reasons for Cloudflare errors, including problems with domain reputation and blocked or underperforming IP addresses. These factors can result in errors when your app connects to the server. 

As a workaround, our engineers recommend checking the status of your IP address using this website: https://talosintelligence.com/reputation_centerIf the result indicates a poor IP reputation, we recommend contacting your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to request another IP address or check how the reputation can be improved. If you have a backup ISP, try switching to that network.

If you continue experiencing issues, we recommend contacting your Internet Service Provider to address this matter effectively, as they are best equipped to handle and resolve this issue.

28 Comments
5f86a828
Community Member

Hey Luiggi,
after uninstalling and reinstalling the application (don't know how many times), spread over a few days, it finally worked. 
Until... yesterday. Now I am back to not even being able to open the application. It's not even loading.

What exactly would an issue with my main internet provider look like? Can you explain that possibility to me? But I have worked with this internet connection for months and there haven't been any problems back then.

Thanks for your help!

Michelle

3cc81b47
Community Member

I can suggest some steps that might help:

Clear App Data: If you haven't already, try clearing the data associated with the Upwork Desktop App. This can often resolve temporary issues. On Windows, you can do this by going to "Settings > Apps > Upwork > Advanced Options > Reset." On macOS, you can uninstall the app and then use a utility like AppCleaner to remove any remaining files.

Reinstall Upwork Desktop App: After clearing the app data, reinstall the Upwork Desktop App using the latest version. You mentioned having difficulty finding the download page. Instead, you can try downloading it directly from the Microsoft Store (for Windows) or the Mac App Store (for macOS) if available. Search for "Upwork" in the respective store and download the app from there.

Try a Different Network: Sometimes, network-related issues can cause problems with app connectivity. If possible, try connecting to a different network, such as switching from Wi-Fi to a wired connection or using a different internet service provider. This might help identify if the issue is specific to your network setup.

Contact Upwork Support: It seems you encountered difficulties accessing Upwork support through the website. You can try reaching out to Upwork support via email instead. Send a detailed description of the issue you're facing, including the error message you received, to support@upwork.com. Make sure to include any relevant screenshots or error logs if available.

In your email, mention that you have already attempted the troubleshooting steps mentioned above. Upwork's support team should be able to assist you further in resolving the issue with the Upwork Desktop App.

I understand that these steps might not guarantee a solution, but they are general recommendations to try and address the problem you're facing. Upwork's support team will be best equipped to provide specific guidance and assistance based on your situation.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Workaround

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Because this particular issue is related to Cloudflare, it is beyond our control to directly fix or improve it. There can be various reasons for Cloudflare errors, including problems with domain reputation and blocked or underperforming IP addresses. These factors can result in errors when your app connects to the server. 

As a workaround, our engineers recommend checking the status of your IP address using this website: https://talosintelligence.com/reputation_centerIf the result indicates a poor IP reputation, we recommend contacting your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to request another IP address or check how the reputation can be improved. If you have a backup ISP, try switching to that network.

If you continue experiencing issues, we recommend contacting your Internet Service Provider to address this matter effectively, as they are best equipped to handle and resolve this issue.

ajji87
Community Member

Hello, 

The Upwork desktop app is not working since yesterday, it showed a "connection lost" error first, and later when I reinstalled the app it doesn't load and kept showing the "Checking if the site connection is secure" screen, I am unable to track time for my clients. 

Please help! 

Thanks. 

papachico07
Community Member

papachico07_0-1694414970838.png

Hi,

i cant log in to my time tracker it keeps on giving me this page, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the app already and i dont have an active anti virus that will affect the tracker. i have a shift tonight and its my first shift i need this fix asap

pjunaid
Community Member

Struck in same issue. Its now 6 hours.Not able to log work.

f0b16a17
Community Member

Who has encountered this issue, I can't open the Upwork desktop, it's just stuck on loading.issue.JPG

9a664e00
Community Member

I don't know everything about Cloudflare, but I use it a lot for my sites. This is not an error. It is Cloudflare attempting to block bot attacks. If someone sends you a screenshot, they're not a bot. Cloudflare is really easy to configure for any IT professional. You can change the kind of bot challenge you use. You can also create specific rules to stop blocking for a longer period of time after a challenge is completed.