🐈
» Support » Known Issues and Workarounds » Some freelancers are unable to withdraw earni...
Page options
0 Upvotes

Some freelancers are unable to withdraw earnings with Instant Pay

Our finance team is currently investigating issues with the withdrawals to InstantPay failing or being reversed.

Workaround: Please use an alternative withdrawal method to withdraw the funds.

Edited to add:

Hi All,

This issue is resolved and we will be closing this thread from further comments. However, if you still experience the issue mentioned on this thread please let us know by posting in Community Support section and we will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you,

24 Comments
susanmccall
Community Member

This morning I attempted to withdraw funds via instant pay (like I do every week). This time it was rejected. When I went into my settings it showed that I needed to Re-enable; so I did.  I then had to withdraw a different amount as UW blocks sending the same amount twice in the same day.

The second attempt was again, rejected. And again, it showed that I needed to Re-enable instant pay; which I did (again).

I've never had a problem before, and I'm not doing anything differently. I've been using the Instant Pay method for months (maybe even a year now). There is no issue with the card details (nothing has changed or expired), so why does it keep getting rejected? 

Can someone help or explain?

Thank you,

7784f77b
Community Member

Yes, this just happened to me. I initiated an Instant Pay request, and the deposit showed up in my bank in one minute. Then, one minute later, the payment was withdrawn back to UpWork. I contacted my bank (Capital One), and they said they have no restrictions on debit deposits and confirmed that they did not initiate the return to UpWork. How does this get resolved?

Thanks,

Ashley

AndreaG

Hi Susan,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

7784f77b
Community Member

This is the exact thing that happened to me. No response from customer support.

AndreaG

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

jamesrav
Community Member

I've used it before with success (not crazy about the fee charge compared to Paypal, but whatever).  Today the transfer was rejected twice, the email from Upwork contains this 'helpful' reason why.  Worked two weeks ago, nothing has changed in the interim with the bank.  

Bank Account
null account ending in null
susanmccall
Community Member

I'm thinking there must be a glitch in the UW system.  I should probably just release funds the other way, but it usually takes 2-3 days before I receive it; guess I'm holding out hope that the instant pay will get resolved soon, but if I have to wait 24-48 hours for a response from support, I'll have my funds anyway in the same time frame.

fecke1984
Community Member

This is the exact thing that happened to me.  Can someone please help with this? I'm needing this money today.

7784f77b
Community Member

Hi Kristen and Susan - thank you for chiming in. Here is a quick update on my end.

I contacted my bank, and they said there is nothing preventing the instant deposit. Upon review of their bank's back end, it shows that UpWork is depositing and then immediately canceling the deposit within one minute of distribution.

UpWork contacted me and said there are no issues on their end and that I should be able to re-initiate the deposit.

I've tried multiple times now, and I get the same response:

We attempted to process your recent payment request but unfortunately it failed.
The reason for returned funds: Unable to apply funds.

How does this get resolved? UpWork support is blaming the bank and the bank is blaming Upwork.

fecke1984
Community Member

That's exactly the same thing that's happening to me.  There is an issue on Upwork's end.  I do instance deposit every week and this is the first week this has happened.  Bank said the exactly same thing as yours did.  UPWORK HELP FIX THIS SO WE CAN GET PAID.