🐈
» Groups » Medical Writing » Forum » Re: Trouble finding work
Page options
d28a0028
Community Member

Trouble finding work

Hi there! My name is Angeles, as a 5th year med student, I am used to medical language and scientific research. I have been translating and proofreading articles, essays, and clinical trials from English-Spanish since 2016. I am new in Upwork, I am having trouble to find work without scams, could someone give some advices? Maybe check my profile...Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's hard to tell most of the screen is cut off, but they are communicating through Upwork's Zoom, so it might be legit. Not sure what you mean by bank credit job. I wouldn't do any work until a contract is in place.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
f1785f8c
Community Member

Hi Angeles,

Seems to just be part of any online platform now. Normally, anyone trying to take you off of the platform is a scam. Services like telegram, Skype, Microsoft messenger are commonly used for scams. It's not limited to these services, so you just have to be aware and monitor things carefully.

Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for answering and sorry to bother you again, but is this an Upwork interview? It is a bank credit job and I am scared to deceive someone for being deceived. Thanks again!

It's hard to tell most of the screen is cut off, but they are communicating through Upwork's Zoom, so it might be legit. Not sure what you mean by bank credit job. I wouldn't do any work until a contract is in place.

Thanks a lot, I will take your advice.

fcf22efc
Community Member

Hello Angeles,
Keep exploring Upwork and spending time on this platform to increase your profile view and more clients you have. 

pochsu
Community Member

It seems like you have two profiles in one. On the one hand, you want to be a virtual assistant, but here you are on a medical writer forum. I suggest you focus on one of the two and make your profile target one rather than two types of specialties at once. Having a split profile can confuse some clients. Also, setting your rate low ($5/hour) can be a red flag to some clients who doubt you can provide quality values. I started at $25/hour and gradually raised my rate to $150/hour once I had more experience. Apply broadly, be patient, have a focused profile, and good luck!

Po

jenniferab
Community Member

One way to improve your medical writing profile is to get an English speaker to proofread your profile info. There are many spelling errors that can be corrected with the help of a proofreader.

Also, I would advise that you look at other top-rated profiles of other medical translators to get an idea of what a good profile should look like and what keywords to use.