This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

I need help withdrawing money in Pakistan as a Student

Highlighted
Firzok N Member Since: Jun 3, 2017

Hello everyone. I am new to upwork and I would really love it if someone could guide me on how to withdraw money from upwork in Pakistan. 

The thing is I know most people are going to say to me to set up a payoneer account but I dont want to pay a hefty ammount just to withdraw money. So I was hoping if someone who has experience in this could help me. 

What I want is to open a bank account and then send money as a direct transfer directly to my bank account. But theres a problem that bank account in Pakistan are not easily opened. I dont know if what type of account should I open and in which bank. I asked someone from HBL and he said that student account may get blocked when recieving money from upwork as it would not comply with my profile. I even checked Standard Chartered and they said that they dont open accounts for freelancers. 

I would also like to mention that I found some bank account type like Asaan account in various banks but found out that it limits international transactions. 

I would really like it if someone who has experience in this type of thing helps me out.

9 REPLIES 9
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015

Hi Firzok, 

We apologise for the delay in our reply. Why don't you check out this thread where different users have shared their experience with using the Direct to Local Bank withdrawal option in Pakistan. I hope it helps!

-Avery
Untitled
I checked that link but unfortunately it is of no help. I need someone who's experienced in this to help me. Or someone from the Upwork team who knows how I can set these things up and which bank is most preferred. Also consider me being a student.
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Firzok,

Unfortunately, we can't advise on the local account set up process so hopefully other freelancers from Pakistan will follow up with more advice.

I can confirm other freelancers from Pakistan are successfully using both Direct to Local Bank and Wire Transfer payment methods.

From personal experience as a fellow freelancer and not a moderator, if needed, when communicating your status and type of payments you'll be receiving, focus on explaining the type of transactions you'll be making because terms like freelancer and freelancing can be perceived differently if not defined correctly at the start of the conversation. I'm bringing this up because of the response you received that the bank "doesn't open accounts for freelancers". Also, consider communicating with the bank's main office in additin to speaking with a represetative in the local branch.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Firzok,

Unfortunately, we can't advise on the local account set up process so hopefully other freelancers from Pakistan will follow up with more advice.

I can confirm other freelancers from Pakistan are successfully using both Direct to Local Bank and Wire Transfer payment methods.

From personal experience as a fellow freelancer and not a moderator, if needed, when communicating your status and type of payments you'll be receiving, focus on explaining the type of transactions you'll be making because terms like freelancer and freelancing can be perceived differently if not defined correctly at the start of the conversation. I'm bringing this up because of the response you received that the bank "doesn't open accounts for freelancers". Also, consider communicating with the bank's main office in addition to speaking with a representative in the local branch.

Zeeshan S Member Since: Jun 26, 2017

Hello Feroz,

I'm using "direct to local bank transfer" method for the past few years never had any issue with funds transfer. It's cost effective in a sense as upwork now charging only $1 per transaction to your local bank. You may transfer your weekly earnings with just a click to your local bank account takes 2-3 days at max.

However you need to confirm two things with your bank(any listed bank)

i) Your IBAN account number and

ii) Your Branch/Bank SWIFT code number.

If you're receiving nominal amounts say $100-150 you won't be charged. But if you're drawing $500+ your bank will deduct $30 to $40 as banking charges. 

Hope this will help you.

Thanks

Z

First of all its Firzok not Feroz.
Secondly thank you for your reply. But I have another problem that I cant open an account without having a certificate of payment. So can you tell me that which bank account you are using? And what bank account type it is? Can anybody open that account or do you have to provide these documents there too
Muhammad Mehran K Member Since: Jul 3, 2017

Hi / Salam Firzok,

I am using MCB account with direct to bank transfer, it's really working and easy to use.

Account Suggestions for you as a student:

- Goto NBP and ask for student account, and also confirm if international payment is accepted.

- Goto MCB Bank and open a smart business account with them, it's what you can make and is simple ( I am also using the same )

- Goto Alfalah Bank and ask to open an account as a freelancer.

By the way you seems to be an engineering student like me Smiley Wink , I am an Electrical Engineer working as a web developer at UpWork.

And where are you from?

Hope this help you, if you need further assistance please let me know, I may help you, as I had the same issues when a student.

Be Blessed

Kind Regards

Are you sure that alfalah has an option of freelancer account? Tomorrow I will visit Allied Bank, UBL and alfalah too and then conpare there charges and offerings and then chose the best one.

Yes I am computer science student from FAST Islamabad. Where are you from?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Frequent Visitor
Zubair S Member Since: Jun 19, 2018

Hi Firzok,

Please tell me what was the conclusion, which bank opens freelancer account? Please guide me as i want to withdraw my amount with minimal deductions as upwork has already dedcuted a heavy amount from my earnings (I know this is procedure, so i want to get money without any further deductions).

Thanks in advance.

Zubair Shahid