This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Scammers

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariam Fatima Z Member Since: Feb 24, 2015

Hello everyone

While it is a great thing to see so many Pakistanis joining the Upwork community and becoming productive members, I am ashamed to see that too many of our people are using this forum to scam others. I myself was scammed by a Pakistani client. There are dishonest freelancers as well who are misusing this place.

This is damaging all of our reputations and good clients will avoid hiring freelancers from Pakistan if this dishonesty continues at this rate. So please, for the sake of your country's and your fellow Pakistanis' reputations, work honestly and EARN your living. Don't demand it from others like it's your birthright.

Don't mean to offend anyone, I know there are lots of hardworking and truly talented people here, and for all our sakes, I hope this stops happening.

3 REPLIES
Azhar A Member Since: Jul 18, 2015

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy 

i just started my career as freelancer at Upwork.

On the very first day when i made my profile,i received an invitaiton for an attractive job .That was somewhere from Africa but who know .I replied to discuss the terms but the client didn't reply ! and i didnt accept the offer .

In the evening when i checked my inbox ,there was a mail from Upwork informing me about the very scammer who sent offers to thousands including me and they told me to change my passwords and apologized for the incident.

From that day .i started a new strategy while searching for work ..I always uncheck the TAB - No Hires . It excludes almost all the clients with no hires and unverifed payments .

The point is ! Scammers are not distrubuted and recognized by region or a country .If someone is doing this from Pakistan .Please don't . Thousand of students ,women and umemployeed people from Pakistan are earning thier livings from Upwork .For God Sake Don't

Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013

Well, its a good post about scammers but only pakistani people are not spamming and most of the pakistani freelancers join these online working websites to earn some money, i can say more than 80%.

Now i will like to tell you that how to save yourself from any scammer in here or in any freelancing site.

1)  First, Check the person is a verified client? if yes then continue your communications if not then just ignore.

2) If the clients wants you to work outside of the flatform or if he/she wants free work in both cases just ignore that client.

3) Lastly, If the client sends you some kind of msgs in which they asks you to login on these links to connect with us ... like yahoo....gmail.....livemail...    then just ignore these clients.

Thanks Smiley Happy Be happy 

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
Sardar Atif H Member Since: Oct 27, 2015

Assalam-Ailakum Everybody,

Good to see my so many countrymen participating in the fruitful forum.

While going through Pakistan's ranking in different categories, I have recently come to know that Pakistan is World's 3rd largest country that contributes skilled Freelancers in world's freelance Industry. 

No long stories, but please be aware of the fact that here on this forum we all are ambassadors of our country. One way or other, we represent our nation, so we must be careful in our dealings while earning on country's name. We see so many non-Muslims and other western clients working so honestly.

Regarding scamming, initially being new comer, I applied for the job whose payment method was not verified. I wrote the detailed cover letter and all stuff, resultantly got no reply.

After few day, I applied for another job belonging to a verified client. During the interview, the client claimed my account as scammed. I inquired the reason; the client said he had received same ditto cover letter from some 3rd freelancer. I tried to clear my position but could not manage to get the job.

People use the fake account as testers, to learn the procedues, copy / paste your ideas and words so be

aware of them. 

Wish you all the best for happy and successful working on Upwork.

Let’s stay firm and consistent. 

Thanks

atif habib
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS