thelisafawbush
Community Member

Where do I find my 2018 1099 form?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lisa,

Only freelancers who qualify will receive W-2 or 1099-K from Upwork. You can find out more about that from this help article. Also, feel free to check out this webinar for more information (Please fill the fields Name and email to access the recording of the webinar ).

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lisa,

Only freelancers who qualify will receive W-2 or 1099-K from Upwork. You can find out more about that from this help article. Also, feel free to check out this webinar for more information (Please fill the fields Name and email to access the recording of the webinar ).

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

If you don't qualify to get a 1099 from Upwork, you just list your earning as "miscellaneous income".  I strongly advise using TurboTax for small businesses.  It's worth the $$ and most helpful with business deductions.

jmcnairy
Community Member

That seminar is useless! It does not clarify what you get if you don't qualify for a 1099k from Upwork. If we completed a W9 then I would expect to get a 1099s (since I don't qualify for a 1099k) from Upwork, so that I can delclare that on my tax returns but the seminar does not clarify this. 

Also, if the only thing that we as freelancers can get from Upwork is a 1099k once we make $20k AND reach 200 transactions; then, how do we report our earnings to the IRS for now?? Does Upwork provide us with a 1099s? and what earings do we report if we have to report them WITHOUT ANY 1099? Do we report the amount that the client is paying us per hour or do we report the amount that we acutally get paid after Upwork reduces its fees?  NONE OF THESE QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERS BY THAT USELESS "SEMINAR"...  Can anyone please answer these questions for me PLEASE!???

I just printed out my transactions, totaled the earnings and gave those to my accountant. I’ve had lots of “businesses” where I don’t get a 1099 and still report my earnings. As a consultant, not all of my clients send me a 1099. I still report all my earnings. I keep track in QuickBooks and through my bank account. It’s never been a problem.

Thank you for your reply. What amount do you report? The hourly rate before Upwork fees or after Upwork fees? (Before, right?)

I know that there has been much discussion of this on these boards and people give a variety of answers. In the end, you basically come out the same if you are a sole proprietor of a licensed business in the US that pays quarterly taxes (that’s my only experience and I’m not an accountant). This year, my accountant used the before number and the expensed all the fees. However, every situation is different and you should talk to an accountant the first year just to make sure you are doing everything for your situation correctly.

I emailed them the same question. Their answer was the full amount. This made me curious so I thought I would look at all the info at year end. This is my first year doing this. I was able to find the billings by client total and found a billings detail. The math works where the fees paid are added the total billed equals the amount paid out. That would mean it is consistent with using the full amount on your taxes as the fees can be a deduction.

I have the same question. It appears we have to piecemeal together our earnings from the reports in our profile, but that doesn't seem right.

I actually continued doing research and found a video on YouTube that mentioned a document called the Upwork Certificate of Earnings. You can find it under the “Reports” scroll down menu on the top of the screen (by where you have “my jobs”). This Certificate gives you your earnings for the year (but it includes all of the Upwork fees). I printed that and printed my report of earnings from Upwork for the year and deducted all the Upwork fees from the total that you get on the Certificate and it balanced perfectly. I will take that to my accountant along with my other 1099misc from my outside projects. That should do it but nobody tells you about the existence of this Upwork Certificate of Earnings prior to tax season. I hope this helps.
mtngigi
Community Member

Jennifer R wrote:

I have the same question. It appears we have to piecemeal together our earnings from the reports in our profile, but that doesn't seem right.

Jennifer,

You are a self-employed freelancer - keeping track of earnings is your responsibility. All the information you need to file your taxes is right there under your reports tab. Who else would you expect to take care of that stuff?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths