🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: 1st Candidacy
Page options
kevin_monari
Community Member

1st Candidacy

Hello, 

I have my first active proposal, I'm happy because I haven't been there before. However, the message I received from the client stated that I needed to work on their portal and the payment will be made after 6 months. This was not what this client had posted earlier for his fixed price project. I'd like to ask;

1. Is the payment period of after 6months normal?

2. Is it possible for clients to adjust payment plans based on your reasons/demands?

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kevin,

1. The payment period depends on what you have agreed with your client. However, you and your client can agree to divide the payment method in multiple milestones and have weekly or monthly payments. 

2. Yes clients can adjust their milestones and payments from their end. 

I would also recommend to check out our resources Here and learn more about how to protect yourself and about getting started on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kevin M wrote:

Hello, 

I have my first active proposal, I'm happy because I haven't been there before. However, the message I received from the client stated that I needed to work on their portal and the payment will be made after 6 months. This was not what this client had posted earlier for his fixed price project. I'd like to ask;

2. Is it possible for clients to adjust payment plans based on your reasons/demands?

1. No

2. Yes

Well, that is just a joke.

Offering to pay a freelancer in six months?

No.

If you want to hire me, then you will hire me using an hourly contract, which means I get paid every single week that I work.

Of you will hire me with a fixed-price contract, for work that takes me less than a week to do for each milestone. Which means that I will get paid every week, if not more frequently.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Kevin M wrote:

Hello, 

You should absolutely not work for someone who isn't going to pay you for six months. Either the client is trying to scam you, or they can't afford to pay you right now - neither of these situations is good. You could try negotiating smaller milestones with them if you like, but I would just say "no thank you" and withdraw my bid.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths