🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » A client tried to refund and threaten me. Nee...
Page options
a50381cd
Community Member

A client tried to refund and threaten me. Need help.

Good day Upwork Community,

This is the first time I would be posting something here and I just signed up a few days ago. So anyway, to make the story short.

• I was sent a proposal to do reverse engineering work.
  • I discussed him the limitations of what I can do and I even told him I could only get the *imperfect* reversed code.
  • I also told him that I do not do illegal stuff such as removing license key of products and whatsoever.
  • He says its okay then he hired me to do the work.
  • At first he told me that we transact via PayPal and I declined immediately because I got a warning from Upwork saying that my account can get deleted because of this.
  • I told him to get 'Payment Verified' since he was not as I am scared of not getting paid or I might get scammed, so he did what I asked.
  • Once I have finished the task, I told him that I have already done the task and he can buy the reversed source code from me. He just has to send me a decent offer for the work and so he did.
  • I have given him the project via *his* dropbox because 25 MB is the max limit of Upwork for uploading file. I also provided screenshots to him.
  • He already said okay and he would pay it so he funded the escrow though I have not yet received the money.
  • I tried messaging him to mark the milestone as completed because I got all excited and he says that he already funded and it should be on the way.
  • Once I received the money (its in pending now), we chatted as if we are close friends. He was good and nice at first though I couldn't respond to him that much as I am busy with other projects.
  • A day passed, then he told me that I did not do what he asked for and said I was very unprofessional. I told him that we already talked about how I would deal with the problem and he just said yes and hired me so he should have nothing against what I did.
  • He then threatened me that he will report me to Upwork and he also bragged that he already have the source code (so why hire somebody to do the work right?) and I told him that if he can do that then he is a magician.
  • I told him that he can say all the bad things to me and he can threaten me all he want. I have backup of our conversation in my end so I am not scared.
  • He then sent me a couple of refund requests (2 at the moment) and I cancelled it all.
  • I asked my wife's advice and have read some other community post before posting here.
  • I have decided to end the contract and just honestly rate what I have felt towards the client.
  • Right now, I do not know what to do and I am dumbfounded.

I am feeling kind of scared that I would never get clients anymore because the client might give me a negative feedback and would-be prospects would always decline me because of his feedback. How do I do this and how do I deal with such action? I already have read some threads though I am just anxious on what to do. Thank you very much for reading this post. Thank you and have a good day!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You seem to be surprised that a client that wants you to do illegal stuff turns out not to be a great client. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
richard-santiago
Community Member

John Carlo D wrote:

Good day Upwork Community,

This is the first time I would be posting something here and I just signed up a few days ago. So anyway, to make the story short.

• I was sent a proposal to do reverse engineering work.
  • I discussed him the limitations of what I can do and I even told him I could only get the *imperfect* reversed code.
  • I also told him that I do not do illegal stuff such as removing license key of products and whatsoever.
  • He says its okay then he hired me to do the work.
  • At first he told me that we transact via PayPal and I declined immediately because I got a warning from Upwork saying that my account can get deleted because of this.
  • I told him to get 'Payment Verified' since he was not as I am scared of not getting paid or I might get scammed, so he did what I asked.
  • Once I have finished the task, I told him that I have already done the task and he can buy the reversed source code from me. He just has to send me a decent offer for the work and so he did.
  • I have given him the project via *his* dropbox because 25 MB is the max limit of Upwork for uploading file. I also provided screenshots to him.
  • He already said okay and he would pay it so he funded the escrow though I have not yet received the money.
  • I tried messaging him to mark the milestone as completed because I got all excited and he says that he already funded and it should be on the way.
  • Once I received the money (its in pending now), we chatted as if we are close friends. He was good and nice at first though I couldn't respond to him that much as I am busy with other projects.
  • A day passed, then he told me that I did not do what he asked for and said I was very unprofessional. I told him that we already talked about how I would deal with the problem and he just said yes and hired me so he should have nothing against what I did.
  • He then threatened me that he will report me to Upwork and he also bragged that he already have the source code (so why hire somebody to do the work right?) and I told him that if he can do that then he is a magician.
  • I told him that he can say all the bad things to me and he can threaten me all he want. I have backup of our conversation in my end so I am not scared.
  • He then sent me a couple of refund requests (2 at the moment) and I cancelled it all.
  • I asked my wife's advice and have read some other community post before posting here.
  • I have decided to end the contract and just honestly rate what I have felt towards the client.
  • Right now, I do not know what to do and I am dumbfounded.

I am feeling kind of scared that I would never get clients anymore because the client might give me a negative feedback and would-be prospects would always decline me because of his feedback. How do I do this and how do I deal with such action? I already have read some threads though I am just anxious on what to do. Thank you very much for reading this post. Thank you and have a good day!

This is bound to happen. Not yours as well as client's fault.

Anything related to "reverse engineering" is illegal. It is unethical hacking.

Upwork moderator should take action on that job post.

Hi Kishor,

Thank you very much for the advise though I stated that I did not do any illegal reverse engineering such as removing of licenses or hacking license keys in the program nor its web API. If I am to be punished, I am willing to accept the consequences of my actions though I really am honest that I did the work and I did finish the job. And also, I never scammed anyone.

Best Regards,
John

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John Carlo,

I already sent a report to the team so this can be investigated further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

Thank you very much for the fast response. If I am not to be punished or whatsoever, I would be happy for you guys to remove employers such as this one that I have encountered so that other reverse engineer and developers like me would never experience being threatened.

Best Regards,

John

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You seem to be surprised that a client that wants you to do illegal stuff turns out not to be a great client. 

Hi Martina,

Yes I am indeed very surprised. I was willing do job only if there is nothing illegal involved like what I said as I do not want to get a bad credit in this freelance platform and at the same time, I do not want to transact outside of Upwork as well. I guess I would mark this as the best solution to my problem and now I have learned my lesson. From now on, I would never deal with people of such and only do work for employers who are not new to the platform but already have outstanding records and relationship with former freelance employees.

Best Regards,

John

John Carlo D wrote:

Hi Martina,

Yes I am indeed very surprised. I was willing do job only if there is nothing illegal involved like what I said as I do not want to get a bad credit in this freelance platform and at the same time, I do not want to transact outside of Upwork as well. I guess I would mark this as the best solution to my problem and now I have learned my lesson. From now on, I would never deal with people of such and only do work for employers who are not new to the platform but already have outstanding records and relationship with former freelance employees.

Best Regards,

John

There are no employers, and you are not an employee, but otherwise, good strategy. 

Hi Martina,

Thank you for sending me a response and for the advise.

UPDATE:

He keeps on threatening me again and he won't stop. He keep on saying that he will file a dispute and if I leave him no choice he would find *many* ways to charge back which I think he would use my personal information since he got my email from google drive.

Best Regards,

John

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths