🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » A few 'newbie' questions
Page options
jaybopp82
Community Member

A few 'newbie' questions

So I've just recently started landing jobs and having some success on this platform.  I didn't seem to have as much of a hard time as people report in these forums.  I started with a few easy jobs I knew I could complete (leaving a review on Facebook) for very little money.  Once I got those few jobs and positive feedback on my profile, interviews seem to come much more easily nowadays for admin support work.  Maybe I got lucky?  Probably.  I know my profile needs work, and I don't spend much time on proposal text.

Anyways - now that money is flowing I have a few questions.

1) I have one submitted job where the client has not returned to the platform.  The work was completed and submitted.  I understand it will auto-approve after 14 days (it's been 10).  My question is on JSS - does this count as a successful 5 star job, or will it have no impact since the client likely won't leave feedback?  Anything else I need to be aware of when this happens?

2) Closing contracts.  I have a couple completed, open hourly contracts.  From what I've read, people suggest asking the client to end the contracts.  I don't think it's very professional to reach out and ask this, so should I end them myself once work was completed (and a few days have passed), or just let them sit there open?  Money was rewarded and these were successful projects.  Given this, does it matter if they close at all?

3) Long term clients.  I was lucky enough to land a job with a company owner who has now hired me hourly for ongoing admin tasks.  He created a data entry job at the hourly rate that I use.  Is it recommended we close/open new jobs for every task, or can we just use the one job for all future work?  How do other freelancers normally handle this?

I couldn't find much around these topics in the Upwork documentation.  Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
colettelewis
Community Member

Jason B wrote:

[...]

1) I have one submitted job where the client has not returned to the platform.  The work was completed and submitted.  I understand it will auto-approve after 14 days (it's been 10).  My question is on JSS - does this count as a successful 5 star job, or will it have no impact since the client likely won't leave feedback?  Anything else I need to be aware of when this happens?

Just wait and see. The client may or may not come back to you, may or may not leave feedback. Once the funds have been released to you, your JSS will not be impacted unless you have a serious run of no feedback. However, it will not be counted as a 5-star job. 

2) Closing contracts.  I have a couple completed, open hourly contracts.  From what I've read, people suggest asking the client to end the contracts.  I don't think it's very professional to reach out and ask this, so should I end them myself once work was completed (and a few days have passed), or just let them sit there open?  Money was rewarded and these were successful projects.  Given this, does it matter if they close at all?

Leave them for the moment. If they stay open for too long, you can close them yourself without harming your JSS. 

3) Long term clients.  I was lucky enough to land a job with a company owner who has now hired me hourly for ongoing admin tasks.  He created a data entry job at the hourly rate that I use.  Is it recommended we close/open new jobs for every task, or can we just use the one job for all future work?  How do other freelancers normally handle this?

I find it simpler to leave it open - particularly, if it is ongoing. But sometimes it can help your JSS if a long-term client closes a contract and leaves (positive private) feedback. I don't ask a client to do this though. I have one client who always closes a contract. Others don't. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths