🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: A job you applied to was closed - Connect...
Page options
giovan912
Community Member

A job you applied to was closed - Connects

Hello,

I'm new on here, and although I've seen similar posts, the information I have is still contradictory. I also thought I posted a similar question yesterday, but I'm not able to find it anymore! Please forgive any conclusion.

My problem is the following.

I receive from time to time Upwork emails that say that a job I applied for has expired or has been canceled by the client. The connects associated with these jobs, however, sometimes are returned to my balance, other times are not.

Could you please shed some light on when, exactly, connects are returned to the applicant?

Thank you very much!

Gianni

5 REPLIES 5
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Gianni,

Connects are returned when the job is cancelled by Upwork or the client without a hire. If the client initiates contact by inviting you to bid or sending you an offer, you won't need to use any Connects. Please check this helpful article about Connects.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Your explanation aroused new questions though!

Why are the connects not returned if the job expires?

Is there any way for the non-recruited applicant to find out what happened? 

I ask these questions because I ran out of connects (naturally), but have found myself with some connects returned after some of these emails I mentioned above. I'm trying to fully comprehend what happens in the different scenarios.

Thank you 🙂 

Gianni

Hi Gianni,

Just to confirm that connects are refunded only in the cases that Jo described. 

Regarding your second concern, unfortunately we don`t send a notification to all freelancers in every case, clients can send notifications as well. Example: client has hired one freelancer and closed his job posting, the client has an option to send a notification to all of the applicants. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

No connects returned if:

- job expires

- client hires someone

Connects are returned if:

- client cancels project

- upwork cancels project

Thank you Goran and Renante - very clear now. 

A new question - don't you feel that connects should be returned if a job expires? It is as if nothing really happened, from all points of view involved. In fact, it is very similar to a cancellation on the part of the client, since no progress was made on the job he needed to do.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you, 

Gianni

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths