🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: A query about certain inappropriate behav...
Page options
ishratamin
Community Member

A query about certain inappropriate behavior of client.

I have been working on upwork for a month. Yesterday I got an invitation from a client and accepted it.

He sent message almost immediately. And he started talking out of context. He complimented me about my name and look for which out of courtesy I thanked him. Suddenly he started saying he won't be in upwork for long so he would like to connect with me on facebook. I modestly replied this is against upwork policy. I won't do anything against this platform. And if we can talk about the job instead. So he replied after talking with other candidates he will let me know.

So, he knocked me Again today saying i am so beautiful and if I can send a picture to him. I was surprised and didn’t reply. He again texted that he wants to connect with me in facebook but pay me here. Again I didn’t reply. He then said he will pay me $20/hour. I didn’t respond yet again. Then he finally said he would pay me $30/hour if I agree with that. Then after taking some time I replied to him that fb is not a professional place and like i said earlier i won't be doing anything against upwork's policy.

Then he said me Sorry and I realized, after that he blocked me to send any message.

So my question is, in such cases can a client complain about a freelancer after not having a fruitful discussion about the job?(well you all know the situation in here) Will such conduct of this client have any negative impact on my future JSS? I am new, so I am kinda worried.

I am really afraid to accept any more future invitations.

Please let me know whatever you know about this. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
florydev
Community Member

It's unfortunate that this happened to you or that it happens to anyone really.  I guess I am lucky that I am a bald, old, man because this kind of thing does not happen to me!

Upwork has this link about reporting all sorts of inappopriate behavior and in your case they want you to contact support.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118-Report-Suspicious-User-Activity

I will also flag this post to get a mod's attention.

This guy should be booted and you should also get your connects back.

Thanks for the link. I didn't lose any of my connects for this job. He invited me actually.

Ishrat,

It is ok to communicate with a client off Upwork as long as payment is made on Upwork.  However, it is not ok for a client to make you feel uncomfortable.  You had every right to tell him "no" to his request for communicating on Facebook.  I agree it isn't an appropriate place to do business.  

I'm sorry for your experience but hope you still consider accepting a client's invitation.  I've found success as a result of a few invitations.  It's nice not having to pay for connects to apply.

Good luck!

The worst part was he asked for my picture and offered me way more payment than I actually asked for that was really not normal I suppose! Anyway had a great learning. Thanks! 🙂

Mark F wrote:

It's unfortunate that this happened to you or that it happens to anyone really.  I guess I am lucky that I am a bald, old, man because this kind of thing does not happen to me!

LOL!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ishrat,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. 
Our team will investigate your client further and take proper action immediately. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you 🙂
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Just talking to somebody will not have any effect on your JSS. He could of course complain about you (flag your profile), he sounds weird enough. But I would not worry about it if I were you, he blocked you so that should be the end of this. 

BTW, it's not against ToS to talk on FB, you can talk on any medium you or the client likes. So don't use this as an excuse if you don't want to talk to somebody, Next time block him the second he becomes inappropriate and be done with it. 

If he flags my profile, will it impact my JSS? This is what I am actually worried about. If i get any such client in future and block him, will he still be able to report against my profile?

BTW, i didn't know it is okay to chat with a client outside upwork. Thanks for informing. No regret regarding this client for my ignorance obviously .

Ishrat A wrote:
If he flags my profile, will it impact my JSS? This is what I am actually worried about. If i get any such client in future and block him, will he still be able to report against my profile?

Ishrat, please stop worrying. The client can't do anything to you or your profile or your JSS.

Just chalk it up to the fact that there are creeps everywhere, and especially on the internet, and have a laugh about the fact that he is clearly such a creep that he can't get women to interact with him in real life.

True indeed. Thanks 🙂
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths