🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » A quick question
Page options
b64bebac
Community Member

A quick question

Hi, I just needed to confirm one thing, I have gone through a very bad experience on Fiverr, and came to know that as a seller or freelancer I don't have any right to report that I have been getting exploited by the buyer. The buyer just has all the powers in there. Is this the same case here at Upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

A few points:

1) This isn't Fiverr.

2) Clients (or "buyers" to use your word) DO have a LOT of power here on Upwork.

3) But clients don't have unlimited power, and there ARE protections here on Upwork.

If you are new to using Upwork, then you can safely work in a way that guarantees you will be paid, no matter what a client does.

If you work using an hourly contract and properly track your time using the desktop time-tracker app, then you qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. That means that you will be paid for all of your time. Even if the client doesn't pay, you will get paid. Upwork will pay you out of its own pocket.

If don't know if other platforms you have worked on have this type of guarantee. But Upwork has this, and it is a very significant protection against getting "exploited by the buyer."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

A few points:

1) This isn't Fiverr.

2) Clients (or "buyers" to use your word) DO have a LOT of power here on Upwork.

3) But clients don't have unlimited power, and there ARE protections here on Upwork.

If you are new to using Upwork, then you can safely work in a way that guarantees you will be paid, no matter what a client does.

If you work using an hourly contract and properly track your time using the desktop time-tracker app, then you qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. That means that you will be paid for all of your time. Even if the client doesn't pay, you will get paid. Upwork will pay you out of its own pocket.

If don't know if other platforms you have worked on have this type of guarantee. But Upwork has this, and it is a very significant protection against getting "exploited by the buyer."

Many thanks 🙂

lysis10
Community Member

Hassaan T wrote:

Hi, I just needed to confirm one thing, I have gone through a very bad experience on Fiverr, and came to know that as a seller or freelancer I don't have any right to report that I have been getting exploited by the buyer. The buyer just has all the powers in there. Is this the same case here at Upwork?

No, I would say freelancers who understand the system have the power to get paid provided they do what they are contracted to do and aren't being shady.

b64bebac
Community Member

I have been badly exploited there. The buyer knew how the system works for newbies there, he used that to his advantage, and support is telling me I have no rights to report this, its all my fault they are not my parents.

lysis10
Community Member

Hassaan T wrote:

I have been badly exploited there. The buyer knew how the system works for newbies there, he used that to his advantage, and support is telling me I have no rights to report this, its all my fault they are not my parents.

It's very important to know the system. There was a freelancer here who totally got curb stomped by a buyer who told him to cancel the dispute and he would give the freelancer some of the money. Freelancer fell for it and client disappeared. I LOL'd cuz mannn that sucks but this is why you gotta know the system.

b64bebac
Community Member

Yes, I have learned again from my experience... 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths