🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » ADVICE: Unable to complete trial task or begi...
Page options
cabezuidenhout
Community Member

ADVICE: Unable to complete trial task or begin job if accepted

Hi Folks

I hope someone can answer me. I recently accepted a job which was dependent on me first completing a short trial project. I have been working on another job, not Upwork related, that should have been finished this week, however they have extended my contract with some more work. I informed my Upwork client this morning of my circumstances and apologised that I would not be able to continue with the trial (paid). My questions are thus, is this the correct procedure going forward? I really feel bad that this being my first offer on Upwork and I have to decline after accepting. Are there any other official procedures I have to follow? Has this happend to anyone else in the community?

Many thanks. This is my first time on Upwork.

Have a great 2020

6 REPLIES 6
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Freelancers and clients can close contracts at any reason for any time. As long as you get paid for any work you've already delivered, then there's nothing to worry about in that regard. Since this was a (thankfully paid) trial, I'm sure the client knows that there's a possibility it might not work out moving forward.

However, I would wait and see what the client wants to do. There's always the possibility they're willing to give you some added time to get started on the trial project. The reason to wait is because if you close things out now, without any pay, that will negatively affect your stats.

You did the professional thing and informed them of the situation, but if they're willing to wait and not close the contract yet, it's probably worth going that route.

Thanks for the timely reply. How does it affect your stats, I wasn't aware of that. That is not good. Damnit.Thanks 🙂
hossainmd_moka94
Community Member

Hi claire 
this is very sad news that you can't complete your first job
Yes, what you have done is a very good thing you have told him you cannot do his work,
in future you have to be very confidential when you bid a job because it's very unethical.
and I know upwork refer all the time client satisfaction
Thnaks

kareemsultan
Community Member

There is a difference between interview and contract
If the client interviewed you without sending a contract you have no worry if you apologize. But if you apologized from complete the job after accepting the contract it will leave a negative reflection on your profile like JSS badge will be low

The contract was sent yesterday evening, which I accepted and downloaded pre-task, but this morning my other project informed they needed two extra chaptors and some re-edits so I immediately told Upwork client ten minutes later that I wouldn't be able to continue with trial. I really feel awful it turned out this way but I was stuck between a job that has been paying me for past two months, supposed to have wrapped up yesterday, which I felt I owed more allegiance to and this opportunity. Such a pity, this Upwork client seemed really nice. I hate to disappoint, it's super embarrassing.

Claire B wrote:
The contract was sent yesterday evening, which I accepted and downloaded pre-task, but this morning my other project informed they needed two extra chaptors and some re-edits so I immediately told Upwork client ten minutes later that I wouldn't be able to continue with trial. I really feel awful it turned out this way but I was stuck between a job that has been paying me for past two months, supposed to have wrapped up yesterday, which I felt I owed more allegiance to and this opportunity. Such a pity, this Upwork client seemed really nice. I hate to disappoint, it's super embarrassing.

Instead of declining the job, you should have explained the situation to the client and negotiated an extension, you might have kept the client relationship this way and avoided the negative impact in your rating. But that strategy applies to all jobs, not only virtual ones.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths