cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Escrow Payments and milestones

Highlighted
Matt K Member Since: Jan 14, 2017
1 of 9

Hello, I'm new here on Upwork and trying out a small project for a guy that needs an Android app.

We negotiated a set of milestones and a small fee.  Before I agreed to do the job, I very specifically stated that I wanted the entire process (all milestones) funded into escrow before I will begin on it at all.  Upwork is only showing the first milestone as funded, and I find that a bit odd.  The client said that he did actually fund the whole thing, and that Upwork is displaying it in a way that is misleading.  His reviews are a mixed bag, some very negative statements on his comments, so I'm a bit concerned. 

Can anyone offer clarity on this issue?  If the project is 5 milestones of $100 each, but only the first milestone says it's been funded, did the client only provide $100 so far?

Is there any way an Upwork moderator can review my chat history with this client to see if they are deliberately lying to me?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

Good on you for being smart. If you click the job in your My Jobs page, it should list the milestones and I think you can see if they are all funded on that screen.

Highlighted
3 of 9

Thanks for the info, I suspected as much.  It only shows the first one as funded.  I'm starting to get pretty paranoid about this one.  It seemed convientently easy to get the job, and he agreed to 250% of his original asking price.  I don't know why he'd bother, I've already made it clear he isn't getting the app until I have been paid in full.   Is this a common scam around here?  Also, I dug around some more and there's some weird things going on with his profile.   His account was made yesterday, even though I first contacted him about the project the day before that.  And he had years of dicey / mixed feedback at that time, so it seems like he setup a disposable account, maybe he's planning on burning me?

Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

I wouldn't be surprised, and yeah it's the Internet so plenty of wannapreneurs and jokers thinking they'll have the next Google for $100.

Got invited by some joker who wanted someone to make a crawler and algorithm that crawled the top trading websites, analyzed the content and then determined if you should buy or sell. Budget: $1000. All I thought is "You idiot, if I can write that I'ma do it for myself and make a ton more than your stupid budget...loser." lol

Anywho, a mod can confirm for sure if it's funded, but if it doesn't say funded in the milestones then I would not move forward. A lot of people here get burned from losers escrowing $5 or 50% or something and then the guy takes off with the work.

Only way I'd do it is if I did $100 worth of work for the milestone, but if his feedback is sketchy I think I'd tell him fund it all or no deal.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 9

LoL that's funny, a 'make your rich instantly' impulse trader with a budget of what it would make in roughly 3 / 10 of a second.

Thanks I think you're right, sounds like good advice.  Do you know the best way to contact anyone around here that is an Upwork employee?  The contact page phone numbers?  Maybe there's a support chat window somewhere?

Highlighted
6 of 9

I just went back and checked my proposals, and it does link back to this job in question.  So I feel like I have to be mixing up some detail or misremebering something, right?  So I went into my browsers history, and checked every single Upwork link in it, which wasn't too hard because I just signed up about 40-48 hours ago.  I looked at three possible jobs, and this was one of them.  I just double checked the other jobs to see if maybe one of them had the dodgey client reviews I remember reading, but no they're both very high rated and been around a while. 

So... This guy either changed his profile, or swapped out a brand new one that is (now) attached to job I sent a proposal for.  Which seems really strange to me, I don't understand why Upwork would allow that, on the backend.  Maybe you can attach a new 'partner', and then delete the old account from the job?  So if someone wasn't watching very carefully, it would look like the same person?

I don't really see the point in going through all the trouble, unless the plan from go was something nefarious.

I'm going to go get some sleep, been up all night coding, I'm a bit concerned it's affecting my perception of events.

Thanks for your input, if you have any other thoughts on this that would be great, I keep wondering if I'm being paranoid, but in the past anytime I have wondered that, it turns out I usually wasn't being paranoid enough...

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 9

Unfortunately, around here a little paranoia is a good thing. Once you get the hang of it, you will be less paranoid and better at identifying the red flags. I still have problems here and there, but for the most part I can avoid the screamers.

Just for clarification, this is what you should see when you click the job details from your My Jobs page. This is how you know it's funded.

fundedmilestone.PNG

Highlighted
8 of 9

So now I've gone and looked at his profile on the job he posted, and I'm not sure how this is possible but now it shows a brand new profile, it says he created it yesterday.   Even though I first contacted him about the job the day before that?  Is there a wire crossed somewhere perhaps?

Did he delete the original job, create a new account (with same photo and name as previous), create a new proposal based on our talk and sent me that proposal? 

Something isn't adding up here...  Anyone know how to get to bottom of this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 9

no don't look at the job itself. Go to your My Jobs page and click the job and it will list the milestones. I believe that's where you can see milestones and if they are funded.