🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » About getting paid
Page options
dr_munu
Community Member

About getting paid

Hello guys. I think I need to ask a little question about the security issues on getting paid.

I want to send some money to my brother who is studying in another city and I want to do it by transferring the amount in my Upwork account. I requested a Payoneer card and put my brother's information (name, address, phone number, etc) in the fields. Will it make any security problem or will everything work well? In other words, does the Upwork user and the owner of the bank account have to be the same person?

Thank you for the answers.

5 REPLIES 5
bobafett999
Community Member

@Munevver T wrote:

Will it make any security problem or will everything work well?

YES, NO.

In other words, does the Upwork user and the owner of the bank account have to be the same person?

YES

Thank you for the answers.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Munevver:

Upwork is not a money transfer tool.

There ARE many tools available that you may use to transfer money.

Upwork's intended use is for you to earn money as a freelancer and withdraw that money into your own account.

You may then use other tools dedicated for money transfer to transfer money to your brother.

If you try to use Upwork to do something like this, you risk having your account suspended and/or having your financial account locked. Many Upwork users who have attempted to circumvent Upwork's rules have lost the ability to withdraw their funds completely.

To put it clearly:

You are not allowed to open a Payoneer account in someone else's name (violation of Payoneer's terms of service) and you are not allowed to use a withdrawal method in someone else's name on Upwork.

You risk losing the money, getting banned from Payoneer and getting into trouble with Upwork.

I know for what purposes Upwork exists. I think I couldn't make myself clear enough. 🙂

We ordered a Payoneer card with my brother's information filled in. Payoneer confirmed my request and informed me that the card is going to arrive next month (with the amount in my account). Let's put it more shortly: Whenever I finish a work and want to get paid, I simply want him to have the money because he needs it more than me. If that breaks the rules, fair enough; losing some dollars and my account to help my brother will not be a problem.

Thanks for the answer anyway. Upwork does not allow me to cancel my new payment method request. If it did, I would listen to you guys and cancel the request. We'll see what happens. I'll let you all know.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Munevver,

Please note that you have to use your own registered and verified Payoneer account as a withdrawal method. Check out these help articles for more information:

Payoneer

Payoneer Fees & Timing

You'll need to contact Payoneer support and have them unlink the existing account from Upwork. Then it could be removed on our end and a new account could be added. We'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly an assist you further during this process!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths