cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abusive threatening message - see below - how can I make official complaint?

Highlighted
Sarah Anne C Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
1 of 5

I was approached to apply to a client his name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** - says they are looking for project managers in various locations.

They asked for a skype message interview. I accepted. Below is a copy of the skype conversation (see last line). I wish to raise this to a senior level in Upwork - as this is offensive and threatening and I don't wish it to happen to someone else. I need to know how I can do this - looking for advice. First time using Upwork and quite shocked.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 5

Wow, just wow. I'm flagging this for you to get a mod's attention. I hope Upwork bans this dirtbag. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Sarah Anne C Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
3 of 5

Thanks - I'm new to it and can't see how to alert anyone who controls this type of thing. I hope somone picks this up. I won't be using Upwork for the forseable future after this I'm afraid. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Sarah,

I'm really sorry about your communication with the prospective client and your first interaction on Upwork. May I ask you to send me a screenshot of your Skype conversation in a private message after clicking on my name, so our team can review and take action? I checked you Messages but don't see the last line in the transcript you copied there. We don't allow profanity or threats on our website and will take immediate action against the client after reviewing all the evidence. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

Sarah, I am sorry about your experience. Thank you for reporting this. You are free to decide whether or not to continue using Upwork.

But keep this in mind

Clients do not represent Upwork.

Clients are customers or potential customers who come here to use Upwork's services. They are not screened.

Is it possible for a very uncouth, uncivil person to walk into our establishment from off the street and approach one of our freelancers or associates and behave badly?

Yes, clearly that can happen, as it can happen in any business that has its doors open to the public.

The good news is that Upwork, that kind of behavior is not tolerated by the management. Customer or not, that person will be dealt with.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS