cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting an INVITE for Interview - should still APPLY/send proposal?

Carina d Member Since: Jan 5, 2017
1 of 7

Hello! I am very NEW in Upwork and hopefuly, gaining my 1st project/job soon. Smiley Happy I have just been invited for an INTERVIEW but the message from the CLIENT says I should check the JOB POST and APPLY?

Does applying mean I will have to send them a cover letter/proposal for the job? There will be NO deductions from my CONNECTS -- is that correct? 

For the schedule of the interview --- the Freelancer usually should adapt/adjust to the client's TIMEZONE - is this the practice? I am from the Philippines, my client is from Australia. I know they are 4 hours ahead of us. 

Looking forward to your feedback. Any help/advise will be much appreciated. 

Sincerely,

CARINA DP

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Carina,

I've checked and you should have submitted the proposal at the same time as you accepted the invite. This way, only the line you included in your cover letter and the rate you set will be visible on the client's end. Your client did respond back in the message room in this case but note that accepting the invite means the interview process has began, and you should discuss the contract terms with the potential client.

Also, please make sure your client send you an offer and Upwork and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab before you start working. Only accept to get paid through Upwork and never pay in order to be considered or hired for a job. Please review these tips and report any behaviour prohibited by Upwork ToS mentioned in the thread. I strongly advise you to go through these resources as well, in order to learn how to successfully use Upwork.

Ace Contributor
Yoshua Yasmin S Member Since: Nov 9, 2016
3 of 7

Just to add a bit: I live in Indonesia and I always adjust to my clients' needs when it comes to timezone. Most of my clients come with 5 or more hours of difference, some even are in the areas of 12-15. 

Being located in the Eastern part of the world, I am usually ahead than most of them. I often have to stay awake at night, but that's not much a problem for me since I am a night owl.

Of course you always have the choice of whether you'd do the same or not. Probably put a max. limit on timezones - the limit that's still in your comfort range e.g. 3-5 hours ahead/behind you.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

I never schedule an interview or phone conference or other appointment unless I specify the time zone.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 7

i don't adjust to **Edited for Community Guidelines**. After wine:30 it's lights out at the ol' jen household and the rest of the night is all shenanigans and reddit and warcraft and ok I watch the bachelor DO NOT JUDGE ME

Ace Contributor
Yoshua Yasmin S Member Since: Nov 9, 2016
6 of 7

*judges Jen*

O hai, nice to meet you! Smiley Tongue

*runs away after posting*

Anyway, OP, good luck with the interview.  Let us know how it goes please!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 7

Don't TV shame me, you cyber bully.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS