🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Accepting the job contract late
Page options
peter_shalen
Community Member

Accepting the job contract late

Hi, I’m new here. Is there any bad effect of accepting or declining the job contract late? I mean someone has hired me few days ago and I wants to deliver the logo and check his response. If he liked the first draft , then I’ll accept the job else a cancellation would effect on my profile.

Raman
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramandeep K wrote:

Thank you Robin, so it means it won't affect badly on my response time if I reject or accept the project on the 7th day. I'm doing this because I submit the first draft of the design and then see the client's response. if he likes it then I accept the project if he didn't then I don't have to face any negative rating on not completing the project.

No it wouldn't affect response time.  Response time is for when you receive an invitation to apply, not a contract.  

To Martina's point, you keep referring to submitting a draft BEFORE accepting the project.  Step 1: You accept the contract.  Step 2: Do the work. 

If the client doesn't like it, you should 1) offer a revision or 2) have him pay you and hire another freelancer.  

Don't be concerned with negative feedback unless you are acting dishonestly or mistreating the client.  Be respectful and honest.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ramandeep, 

How long you respond to an invitation will be taken into account into your Responsiveness Score. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ramandeep K wrote:
Hi, I’m new here. Is there any bad effect of accepting or declining the job contract late? I mean someone has hired me few days ago and I wants to deliver the logo and check his response. If he liked the first draft , then I’ll accept the job else a cancellation would effect on my profile.

Raman

If you have already been hired, there is nothing to accept.

Do you mean somebody told you they will hire you once you send the completed task? This could end in you doing free work, and you don't want to do that ever. Wait until you are actually hired, then proceed.

I mean client has awarded the project but I didn't accepted or rejected from last 3 days. Will this effect negative

Ramandeep K wrote:
I mean client has awarded the project but I didn't accepted or rejected from last 3 days. Will this effect negative

Not from Upwork's point of view.  You have a week to accept.  Then the job will automatically appear as if you withdrew your submission and the client will have to send you a new contract.  The client, on the other hand, may have a deadline so you should manage expectations accordingly.  

Thank you Robin, so it means it won't affect badly on my response time if I reject or accept the project on the 7th day. I'm doing this because I submit the first draft of the design and then see the client's response. if he likes it then I accept the project if he didn't then I don't have to face any negative rating on not completing the project.

Ramandeep K wrote:

No it wouldn't affect response time.  Response time is for when you receive an invitation to apply, not a contract.  

To Martina's point, you keep referring to submitting a draft BEFORE accepting the project.  Step 1: You accept the contract.  Step 2: Do the work. 

If the client doesn't like it, you should 1) offer a revision or 2) have him pay you and hire another freelancer.  

Don't be concerned with negative feedback unless you are acting dishonestly or mistreating the client.  Be respectful and honest.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths