🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Accidentally sent resume with contact informa...
Page options
7c247b2f
Community Member

Accidentally sent resume with contact information - what to do?!?!?

Dear All, 

I just submitted my second ever proposal for a job today. When I started working on the proposal, the job had been posted only 22 minutes prior. I was in a great hurry to submit my proposal because there were already 5 to 10 proposals and the client looked very legit. Not only did I try to hurry, I also boosted my proposal. 

The client wrote the following in the job post:

We prefer candidates who have established work history on Upwork. If you are new to Upwork, please provide a way for us to evaluate your work experience (linked. in, resume, etc.)

Since I am new to Upwork, I decided to attach my resume in order to speed up the process. I reused and renamed a PDF resume that I had used for a similar employment opportunity (not freelance) a few months ago. However, I completely forgot to strip away my contact information from the PDF. 

I tried to fix it by withdrawing my proposal, but I encountered this message from the Upwork platform: 

If you boosted this proposal, you won’t be able to submit it again after withdrawing

This is not exactly what I want to do. I want to be able to withdraw so I can unattach my resume, reattach my resume after removing my contact info, and resubmit my proposal. 

Is anything like this possible? What should I do? I don't want to lose my proposal, but I don't want to get banned either. 

Thanks,

JPG.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jose and Renata,

Thank you for your message. I would like to clarify that Arjay's response is for portfolio links attached or included with the proposals. Resumes with direct contact information such as phone or emails address or any other social media links are still not allowed and considered a violation of Upwork TOS. If you have already submitted a proposal attaching a resume with your contact information, you will have an option to withdraw the proposal to adhere to our guidelines. Please note that you will be unable to resubmit the proposals for the same job in case your withdrawn proposal was boosted and the Connects used for the withdrawn proposal will not be refunded. Feel free to message us if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ArjayM

Hi Jose,

In general, a resume or CV document attached to a proposal cannot include contact information. If you can't remove or edit the information that's already been sent to the client, please ask the client to only contact you via Upwork so the communication stays within the platform. I hope this clarifies it.*

*Edited to correct

~ Arjay
Upwork
renata101
Community Member

Arjay M wrote:

Hi Jose,

We know sharing your past work is important. Therefore, you can share links to external portfolios when you submit a proposal. Don't worry! We understand that proposals may include contact information. If you cannot remove that information, please ask the client to only contact you via Upwork. There should not be any problem as long as the communication stays within the platform. I hope this clarifies.

In the past I've always noticed people being told that having contact information on external portfolios is a violation of the Terms of Service. Has this changed? Does this mean I can now link to an external website or any other profile that contains my contact information if I just inform the client not to use it?

Hi Jose and Renata,

Thank you for your message. I would like to clarify that Arjay's response is for portfolio links attached or included with the proposals. Resumes with direct contact information such as phone or emails address or any other social media links are still not allowed and considered a violation of Upwork TOS. If you have already submitted a proposal attaching a resume with your contact information, you will have an option to withdraw the proposal to adhere to our guidelines. Please note that you will be unable to resubmit the proposals for the same job in case your withdrawn proposal was boosted and the Connects used for the withdrawn proposal will not be refunded. Feel free to message us if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep, 

Do you know if it would be possible for the technical support team to go behind the scenes and either delete the resume attached to the proposal, or preferably, replace it with a new version of my resume that I would supply to meet the TOS?

Thanks,

JPG.

Hi Jose,

Unfortunately, that is not something we can do. A proposal can be withdrawn by the freelancer, but we cannot edit it. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
5591d279
Community Member

Hello,

I think it'd be great if Upwork can come up with a feature that allows the submitter to edit (i.e. add/remove/re-attach) attachements even after they had sent in their proposal. This can be a great alternative to withdrawing a proposal all together.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths