Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account Locked, Profile Switched to PRIVATE

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel I Member Since: Jan 28, 2018
1 of 11

Hi, my account showing locked and Profile switched to PRIVATE. Switching it to Private makes things even worse for me. Kindly, can somenone assist me.

THANKS.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Hi Emmanuel,

I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, freelancers with no earnings in 30 days will have their profile set to private (locked) automatically. To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here. Thank you!

Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel I Member Since: Jan 28, 2018
3 of 11

Thank you Sir, I really appreciate.

Highlighted
Nathan B Member Since: Jul 25, 2018
4 of 11

This just happened to me... and I find this to be a pretty unfair metric, to be honest. You've designed a rule whereby if someone is less successful than those around them, they are hidden away unless they pay a premium... how is that supportive or helpful at all!?

I've been trying pretty hard to gain traction on the platform. I suspect that since I have no reviews or hours tracked here, I haven't yet been able to gain many clients. I've tried sending proposals within an hour that work is posted, tried different styles of proposal writing, tried revamping my portfolio, adding things to my profile, I keep reading numerous posts about how to be awesome at Upwork and so far, sorry, but I'm not making a fortune off your site.

Your policy of hiding freelancers who don't make money is a great way to kick someone while they're down, and is counterproductive to actually helping them gain work. It's obvious that the policy only serves Upwork in that it promotes your premium, paid service - an additional expense for those who are struggling to begin with.

I was a little hopeful that this platform could be a great, encouraging community which could help me find new clients and consistent work. After discovering this little caveat today, I feel like I've uncovered the true colors of Upwork, and it honestly makes me question whether it is the community I thought it could be.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 11

I'm sorry to learn you feel this way, Nathan. There are different ways on setting your profile to public again, one of which is contacting us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

If an established freelancer doesn't earn money on Upwork for 30 days, their profile visibility will automatically change to private. This is checked daily, not once a month. If you aren't regularly earning on our platform, your profile may be set to private, even if you submit proposals and interview frequently.

If the profile is set to private again after 30-days, or sometime in the future, check out the options listed in the email notification or in the pop up on Find Work page to set it back to public.
You may read more about this initiative on this support article. Please know that I have already set your profile to public. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
6 of 11

Avery - It looks like that support article doesn't work.

Well, thanks for setting my profile back to public, however, I don't see any incentive to continue putting the amount of fruitless effort I have into countless proposals on a platform that not only wants to take a percentage the payments I recieve, but also randomly sets my profile to private until I pay a premium fee. Frankly, this is not the type of environment I want to participate in.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 11

Hi Nathan, could you please check if the link to the help article Avery added to her post still doesn't work for you? 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
8 of 11

Valeria - yes it works now, thanks.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sameed A Member Since: Nov 7, 2019
9 of 11

This happened to me! I am trying my best and received a rising talent badge earlier. I am sure I would start earning soon.

Setting my account to private disappoint's me . Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
10 of 11

Hi Sameed,

I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, profiles of freelancers with a history of earnings on the platform will remain public unless they have not earned in more than 2 years. Profiles of new freelancers who haven’t earned on Upwork will be set to private after 90 days.To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here. Thank you.

Untitled