🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Active candencies without hires after a bad r...
Page options
webmaster250
Community Member

Active candencies without hires after a bad review

Hello, I am relatively new on Upwork. I have completed a few projects, but one client left me a 1.95-star review because of misunderstandings in the working process. The client was still new to the platform. 

Since then I have received interviews after sending proposals, but no hires. For example, I have five active candidacies without hires. My question is how long on average do clients take to hire after an interview and a test? Second, is the one negative review enough to halt my progress?

2 REPLIES 2
aprilwilliams37
Community Member

Yeah, I feel your pain. I had exact same issue on a different platform, and this seems to be a norm with freelance paltforms. I won't say the name of the company, but I got high reviews from the company on my interview process; however, after only (1) job completed, simply because I supposedly did not hit a particular button on my screen for which I'm still scratching my head on, I was given a (1) start from the person that hired me even after they gave me an outstanding review to the freelance company of the work I submitted. Like you, the freelance company would not send me anymore jobs after that, which was very unfair in my opinion, and also wasn't fair that I got such a low rating for making a "common" mistake by newbies (I found out later). Not trying to sound like a gripe session, but just realistic, it's almost as if you have to be perfect or you are rid of. I even emailed the freelance company, but they would not respond to me, which I couldn't understand. Honestly, I think it's pretty much general across the board that because their are so many freelancers out there due to COVID, we are all in competition with one another and company's that hire us know that. So, I leave you with these encouraging words...."don't sell yourself short!" If you know you are good at what you do and you're not getting anywhere with freelancing, sprout your wings, fly, and market yourself. You can't go wrong. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I have a master's degree in accounting with 10 yrs bookkeeping experience.....so NO....I'm not working for no $9/hr. Because I've held out for bigger/better, I landed a client just yesterday. I think the biggest advantage you can have right now is not being afraid to network with people in person, getting your talents out there, and most importantly believing in yourself & the possibilities. You got this!!!  

Thanks for the encouragement. I am still actively searching for people who need my services. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths