🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Active candidacy-avoiding payment
Page options
anicakarali
Community Member

Active candidacy-avoiding payment

Hi,

I have an active candidacy for a proposal where we agreed on some conditions (completed job-payment per piece). I've completed the task, sent the file and after clients' "thanks", I haven't heard from him for more than a month.

Here is the link to our conversation : **Edited for Community Guidelines**

and here is the link from feedback to the same client from another freelancer, where he avoids paying for the completed job:  **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

1. Does this active candidacy mandatory leads to a contract with the client and my right to be paid for the job ( I did it in a timely manner and spent 12 hours to get finished)

2. Since I haven't contract with the client, do I have the right to ask for a payment?

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

"Active candidacy means that you have not been hired. It's "an interview"

Anica K wrote:

1. Does this active candidacy mandatory leads to a contract with the client and my right to be paid for the job 

2. Since I haven't contract with the client, do I have the right to ask for a payment?

1. No. it means you were considered for the contract.

2. You can ask, but won't get anything if the client hasn't responded in a month. Without a contract, even if the client WANTED to pay you, it wouldn't be possible.

In future, don't do any work until you have been hired.

NikolaS

Hi Anica,

I checked and you were not hired for this job. You shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab.

Please check this post for the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not.

Please note that any requesting of free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is ToS violation. It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths