🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Active proposal but client deleted job po...
Page options
cristina-diana
Community Member

Active proposal but client deleted job post

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Upwork and I need a bit of help.

I submitted a proposal and the client contacted me, asking if I'm interested in the job. I said yes and she said she would contact me when the project starts. The proposal appears under the "Active proposals" tab, and the client deleted the job post. Does this mean that she will hire me? Or is it still possible for the job to be cancelled and for me not to get hired for this job?

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Cristina-Diana:

Job posts and contracts are not the same thing.

A client may delete a job post and still hire you.

She may hire you, and then delete the job post.

Or she may delete the job post, and send you a direct invitation using a job post created specifically for you.

She could make a job post private and then then invite only you to apply to the job.

There are many possibilities.

My advice to you is this:

Do not spend too much time on this. If she wants to hire you, she needs to come to you. And she needs to do everything the right way. That means she sends you a HIRE offer, which will result in you having the opportunity to ACCEPT an actual Upwork contract.

When you accept an actual Upwork contract, you will see the contract listed on your page here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you do not see the contract listed there, then you DO NOT work for this client.

If it is a fixed-price contract, then you only work on a milestone that is FULLY FUNDED.

If this is an hourly contract, make sure that you see that she is "payment-verified."

If you don't see these things, then you politely tell her what you need to see and you wait for her to make it happen before you start work.

Come back here and ask if you have questions.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
prestonhunter
Community Member

Cristina-Diana:

Job posts and contracts are not the same thing.

A client may delete a job post and still hire you.

She may hire you, and then delete the job post.

Or she may delete the job post, and send you a direct invitation using a job post created specifically for you.

She could make a job post private and then then invite only you to apply to the job.

There are many possibilities.

My advice to you is this:

Do not spend too much time on this. If she wants to hire you, she needs to come to you. And she needs to do everything the right way. That means she sends you a HIRE offer, which will result in you having the opportunity to ACCEPT an actual Upwork contract.

When you accept an actual Upwork contract, you will see the contract listed on your page here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you do not see the contract listed there, then you DO NOT work for this client.

If it is a fixed-price contract, then you only work on a milestone that is FULLY FUNDED.

If this is an hourly contract, make sure that you see that she is "payment-verified."

If you don't see these things, then you politely tell her what you need to see and you wait for her to make it happen before you start work.

Come back here and ask if you have questions.

Thank you so much for your answer and for all the information you provided, Preston!

Have a wonderful day!

Hello, 

I was contacted by a client who later cancelled the job on Upwork. He was happy with my skills and assigned me work. But my Upwork profile does not show any updates regarding the job. Also, anything related to the job like the job post, my proposal, and the message asking me to contact via telegram all are not available on Upwork. The conversations are made via telegram. Should I take up the job? If I do will I be paid? What should I do? I am new here and is confused.

Hi Lekshmi,

Thank you for your message. Please note that accepting or offering to communicate outside of Upwork before accepting a contract on Upwork is considered a TOS violation. 

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you, Sir. I declined the job. I will be careful in the future.

I was so concerned about this. Thank you so much, Preston. 

msublette
Community Member

Anything can happen between now and when the client starts a contract with you.  I guess there are some reasons why a client may delete a job posting, but it's not normal I don't think. 

Are you sure that the client deleted the job and it wasn't deleted by Upwork? If it was deleted by Upwork, the client has likely been banned and the job does not exist.

You can be hired without an active job posting.  I get hired often without any job posting because my clients just contact me directly and then make an offer to me to start the contract.  They never interview anyone else. 

Until you accept a contract, the job has not started and may not start.  I don't hold space on my calendar for people who don't tell me when a job is going to start or how long it will take to complete.  Don't stop bidding on jobs.  If you get another offer, and your contract hasn't started, you may reach out to that client and try to determine when their job will start.  But otherwise, I'd just continue as usual until an offer (an official offer for a contract) has been made by the client through upwork.  You'll get a message saying you have an offer when that happens.

Michelle

Thank you very much for your answer, Michelle!

Yes, I haven't stopped bidding on jobs and I will continue doing so.

How can I know if it was Upwork of the client who deleted the job post?

re: "How can I know if it was Upwork of the client who deleted the job post?"

There may be no way to know.

Upwork doesn't necessarily publicize its actions when it takes punitive action against a client or a job post.

if you are like me, you will soon come to the point where you really don't care.

If I wasn't hired, then I wasn't hired. Why was I not hiired? Did Upwork delete the job? Did the client delete the job? Did the client hire somebody else and take down the job posting? It doesn't really matter to me. I focus on the jobs that I get hired for.

I have an active proposal for a job that was removed. How do I withdraw that proposal? I want to close my account but can’t do this until all active proposals are addressed.

Hi Paula,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
b4e73ccc
Community Member

Hello, 

I'm also in the same situation. I have an active proposal for a job that was removed. May I ask for help on how to remove or withdraw it? 

Hi Maria,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b4e73ccc
Community Member

Thank you so much for the assistance! it's very appreciated. Have a nice day ahead! 

3bfce064
Community Member

Can I also ask for assistance?proposal is active but job was deleted.

Hi Donna,

Thank you for reaching out. i checked your account and there's no active proposal anymore. You can go to this page to confirm this. 

~ AJ
Upwork
938b629a
Community Member

I am having the same problem, plz help me out

Hi Prathmesh,

I am sorry to hear about your Proposal. The Proposal for the removed job should be moved to the Archived tab within 24-48 hours.

- Pradeep

Upwork
2d162e8e
Community Member

I have a submitted proposal with a job "no longer available". 

What's the situation here?

Should i withdraw the proposal?

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your message. You will see a message, 'This job is no longer available' when the job is no longer active on Upwork. There is no action needed for these Proposals as they will be moved to the Archived tab automatically.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thanks for your time. May you have a nice day😀

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths