🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Adding Bank Details of someone else instead o...
Page options
raban_ghoosh
Community Member

Adding Bank Details of someone else instead of mine

Hi respected Upwork Community!

I am new at upwork and feeling very lucky that I got my first job within 2 days !

So I want to know, is it possible that if I want to add bank account of my brother or father to get paid? as I have not my own bank account yet ?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

@Nasir M wrote:

I am new at upwork and feeling very lucky that I got my first job within 2 days !

So I want to know, is it possible that if I want to add bank account of my brother or father to get paid? as I have not my own bank account yet ?

Congrats on your first joand this is the perfect time for you to open your own bank account, because you can NOT add someone else's .

Your withdrawal method must be your own and in your own name.

Thank you so much for Quick assistance !

a691b0ae
Community Member

What if it got long to open a bank account? Is this affect our winning jobs or status of profile?

zelomi
Community Member

It is not possible. 

I had a similar issue, and they only way for this to be possible is for them to add your name to their bank account. If you are a second user of any of those accounts (your name appears somewhere) then it will be fine. Otherwise it won't.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nasir,

Sorry about not responding to your question yesterday, I'll just officially confirm freelancers are required to use an account in their own name when setting up their withdrawal method.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

These questions always make me laugh. Why would someone work hard, earn money, and want to send that money into someone else's bank account?

It is not like there is a bank account shortage in his town. "I'm sorry sir. Your dad and brother were assigned the last two bank accounts available in our country. Try coming back next year after the new growing season,"

Hello, let me answer your question. I work hard, earned money from upwork job, I wanna get my money now, but upwork say if you want your money to YOUR bank account I charge you 30 dollars! since I live in a country other than US. I earned 30 dollars and 38 cents, so I'm gonna get only 38 cents?

That's why I want to send my money to my cousins account, who live in States and has a bank account in a US bank.

But I can't do that!
Does it make sense to you now?

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Asli,

While we understand the nature of the problem you're facing, note that you can set up a different withdrawal option since you won't be allowed to send your earnings to a bank account not registered in your own name. Please go to your Get Paid page and review the alternative withdrawal options before selecting the one that works best for you. Feel free to follow up if you have any questions or need advice.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

"It is not like there is a bank account shortage in his town."

Actually, in the real world, there are loads of reasons why people have difficulty in opening a bank acount. Sometimes they can only have a basic account that doesn't allow for transfers from places such as Upwork, although those accounts may be fine on a day to day basis. 

Sarcasm is not appreciated, we're trying to find ways to get paid without having to spend so much money 

Dear Preston, 

In my case, in Lebanon its hard for us to have a fresh dollar account and collect the money that we worked hard for, the bank system here is blocking our activity specially with foreign currency. This why in my case i want to add the paypal account of a family member living abroad in order to collect the money.

Is there any chance to make somehting happen in this case ?

Look into using TransferWise.

Many Upwork users around the world have successfully used that service to create U.S. bank accounts that they can withdraw Upwork earnings into.

It is now known as "Wise"

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-to-transferwise-business-acount/td-p/857065

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Transferwise/m-p/900105/highlight/true

Because I live in Venezuela and there's no way I can create an account here in dollars, or create an account on the U.S, no one accepts paypal or payooner here, and the international withdraw is not affordable for me 

Hi Lorenzo,

The availability of payment methods varies depending on your location. To see which ones are available to you, please go here. You can learn more in this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork

I think the purpose was to avoide tax obligations. If the amount gets credited to someone elses bank account who doesnt earn much the tax liability will also be less and as per his/her tax slab.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths