🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Age
Page options
bb6199c4
Community Member

Hello, Upwork required age is 18, however, in my country (Czech Republic), you can start a business in 16 years or above with permission. My question is: Can I start using this platform?

10 REPLIES 10
alysegoody
Community Member

Not until you're 18. 

https://www.upwork.com/legal#useragreement

In 1.2 account eligibility. There is mentioned: "(d) are either a legal entity or an individual who is 18 years or older (or have otherwise reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you conduct business) in each case who can form legally binding contract"

In my country, you can conduct business legally from age 16 with permission.

Doesn't matter what your country allows.

It's 18 years old to work as a freelancer on Upwork.

You're missing my point. There is mentioned, you can use Upwork, on condition in which you can start a business in your age. I can legally start a business at my age with permission.

Jakub P wrote:

You're missing my point. There is mentioned, you can use Upwork, on condition in which you can start a business in your age.

Where is this mentioned? Ah, I see what you're referring to. But in any case, you cannot enter into a legally binding contract in the Czech Republic until you are 18, and that's what the problem is here - not whether you're allowed to work or not.

In my reply to Alice G

Also, there is mentioned: "in each case who can form legally binding contract"

And yes, I can form a legally binding contract if I have a trade license, which you can acquire from 16 years.

You can find this here in § 33:

https://www.zakonyprolidi.cz/cs/2012-89

Also, everyone who has a trade license is considered an entrepreneur. It's mentioned in § 420

You can't open an account until you are 18. I would suggest you take down your current one before it is flagged and you have trouble coming back once you're 18, which you will if you're suspended.

Jakub:

You're reading a bunch of documents. it is fine to read things.

It doesn't change the fact that you must be 18 years old or older in order to create and use an Upwork freelancer account.

I remember this subject came up some time ago, and it would be good if a moderator could weigh in. 

IMO, this part of the ToS is ambiguous: (d) are either a legal entity or an individual who is 18 years or older (or have otherwise reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you conduct business) in each case who can form legally binding contracts.

I assume 'jurisdiction' refers to the country (or the state) in which the FL resides?  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths