Hi everyone! My name is Anna, I have very talented friends in video edition sphere. They don't speak English at all. Can I help them in finding clients and interesting job offers? Should I creat an agency account for that? Thanks in advance for your comments.
I think there are ways to help your friend.
There are some important rules to keep in mind:
- Upwork users must never share their username and password credentials. You must never log into your friend's account. Your friend must never log into your account.
- Each freelancer's profile page must represent themselves, and not represent a group of people. For example, if your friend's English language ability is limited, it would not be appropriate for her profile page to state that her ability is "fluent" or "native", based on the fact that your ability is at that level.
Some additional notes:
- It IS possible to form an agency.
- It is NOT necessary to have an agency in order to look up jobs in a particular category, and forward links to those jobs to a friend. If you simply want to search for jobs and tell you friend about them, there is nothing wrong with that.
- In visual arts, there are many freelancers with very limited English language ability. I have hired many freelancers on Upwork without ever speaking to them. I provided a task description and they submitted work based on that written description. I have no way of knowing if they were able to read the description themselves, asked somebody to translate it for them, or used a tool such as Google translate. However they were able to do it, I was pleased with the work.
If you are organized as a true agency, then you may accept contracts on behalf of the agency.
But to answer your question directly:
It is NOT TRUE that freelancers must go through an interview in order to work get a job on Upwork.
Many clients will want to interview freelancers. But other clients will only want to exchange some written messages.