🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Am I Being Scammed?
Page options
christiansen_kam
Community Member

Am I Being Scammed?

HI, I have a potential client. We've interviewed. I haven't been fully hired yet, and they're asking me to send a copy of my resume, Drivers Licence, and Passport to them through my own email and not through Upwork. I feel like this is a scam, but I want to see if I'm being paranoid or if this is normal?

4 REPLIES 4
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Kami,

Please, refrain from sharing your personal information with clients and make sure they hire you on a contract before you do any work for them. 

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

HI, I have a potential client. We've interviewed. I haven't been fully hired yet, and they're asking me to send a copy of my resume, Drivers Licence, and Passport to them through my own email and not through Upwork. I feel like this is a scam, but I want to see if I'm being paranoid or if this is normal?

It is not normal. There are rare cases where a client may ask for additional information for specific purposes, but it's very unusual and I've never heard of it involving a passport.

I would report the client and not provide this information.

And good job respecting your gut. Always do that. If it smells fishy in any way -- pass. The most important freelance jobs are the ones you DON'T take.

dunlop_renee
Community Member

Run like hell.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths