🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Amount paid vs amount in escrow
Page options
officeandmore
Community Member

Amount paid vs amount in escrow

Hello,

For my 1st job, when receiving a milestone, I didn't check to see if if was funded (newbie mistake, and per message boards I gathered "shame on me"; OK I'll take it). But messages received from company after I finished the job say "amount paid" and my report shows all the money owed as pending, so I should be in the clear correct?

Can a company skip the escrow and -if honest- just pay their FL? What is the difference between amount in escrow and amount paid?

And yes, next time I will be more vigilant (company did have great profile). 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Caroline,

I checked this for you and your payment is currently subjected to a standard five-day security period and will become available for withdrawal as shown under the date details. Please go to your account > select the Reports tab > Overview and you'll see the funds under the Pending tab. Once they become available in your account balance, you'll be able to use the Get Paid Now button under the available tab and withdraw the funds to the payment method you set up on your Get Paid page, under Settings. Please read more about working and getting paid on Fixed-Price contracts in this Help article.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
allergywriter
Community Member

Getting paid through Upwork isn't like getting paid in the brick and mortar world. In the Upwork world, getting paid just means that the milestone or money for a job was released. Then Upwork needs to hang on to it for awhile to make sure it is nice and warm before they give it to you. They don't want your bank account hurt by cold, hard cash. So, when the client "pays" you, all that happens is it moves from one location to another in escrow. Eventually, once Upwork  has sufficiently warmed the funds, they will move from pending to your account. Then you can withdraw them.

In the brick and mortar world, a client pays you and you get paid right then. No Upwork to make sure your funds are nice and warm and fuzzy on a cold night.

LOL do I sense some sarcasm? I like cold hard cash, especially in boiling hot Florida... Hmm, OK it sounds like I should get paid eventually.

Hi Caroline,

I checked this for you and your payment is currently subjected to a standard five-day security period and will become available for withdrawal as shown under the date details. Please go to your account > select the Reports tab > Overview and you'll see the funds under the Pending tab. Once they become available in your account balance, you'll be able to use the Get Paid Now button under the available tab and withdraw the funds to the payment method you set up on your Get Paid page, under Settings. Please read more about working and getting paid on Fixed-Price contracts in this Help article.

~ Bojan
Upwork

@Caroline O wrote:

LOL do I sense some sarcasm? I like cold hard cash, especially in boiling hot Florida... Hmm, OK it sounds like I should get paid eventually.

Spend a little time looking at all your drop-down menus, especially the one marked "Reports".  You'll find lots of good info, including your "transaction history" - that will give you the dates for when your "warmed-up cash" will be ready for you to withdraw.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths