cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone come across a company called **Edited for Community Guidelines** ? Legit?

Highlighted
Florine Tatiana N Member Since: Oct 29, 2016
1 of 10

Hi, I want to know if anyone has experienced the same thing as me, I'll be very reassured if someone has. I just want to know if someone has worked with them before, and if it's actually legit, they hired me twice, the second time they didn't even know I had been previously interviewed, I was contacted by different people. 

I have to sign a contract with them, I read it thoroughly (at least I hope I have) y either of us can stop working with the other at any moment. 

Anyway if anyone has, please let me know. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10

Florine:

Never ask us about the name of a company.

Nobody here has a list of what companies are "legit" or not.

A client on Upwork is legitimate if it hires you with an actual Upwork contract and pays you through Upwork for doing actual work.

Highlighted
3 of 10

I appreciate the time you took to reply. 

As you may have read I simply wanted to know if someone had worked with the company previously, I never stated that some had a list of "legit" companies with them that they should share. 

I'm sure you can find a more polite and less threatening manner to reply to someone else's post. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
4 of 10

I think its a swear word.

Highlighted
5 of 10

thank you for your wise words 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 10

Florine: You violate the Forum's rules when you use the name of a client or company here.

And when you ask about a company or client by name, it shows that you do not know how scammers work.

They copy the names of real companies and real employees from websites on the Internet. They then feed those name to newbie freelancers such as yourself.

An experienced freelancer does not consider the name of a company or a client. An experienced freelancer considers the client's Upwork history, behavior and offer.

Highlighted
7 of 10

Well there you have it, I am not as experienced as you are, so I must obviously be ignorant, that's a great aspect of knowledge you have there. You think a new company who recently joined the website will have much history to look into. Scamming wouldn't be scamming if it there was only one way to go by it.  

Scamming wouldn't be scamming if it there was only one way to go by it.  

There are so many factors here, if you decide to only go one way about it then, you'll be oblivious to the rest. But ok. 

Thanks again for your help

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 10

Hi Florine,

If you're referring to the last client you communicated with, based on the job description and their message I suspected this might not be a legitimate client. I followed up with our team and they removed the client and their job from the platform.

Please stop communicating with this client, note that you should start working only once you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs, only accept to get paid through the platform and never pay in order to bid or be able to work on a job.

I strongly advise you to go through the all the resources we shared here and refer to this list of safety tips, in order to learn how to spot and avoid questionable jobs.

Highlighted
9 of 10

Thank you I appreciate your help, I just needed reinsuring  from someone from the community.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 10

Florine, if it is any comfort, I am a seasoned (well-seasoned!) freelancer, and I do not agree with Preston on this, although I agree with him on a lot of other things! As far as I can,  I always check who a client may or may not be.

A client who has a good payment and feedback record, may not necessarily be a client you wish to  continue working with. It is always better to know who you might be working for - as you would in the real world.