🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Anything wrong in my profile?
Page options
jeneva-mangsang
Community Member

Anything wrong in my profile?

Hi, 

I am a newbie on Up work but I completed a job with good feedback and another one in progress. I received job invitation only 2/3, how can I get more invitation.  So, I have confused need more edit or add anything in my profile?

The second thing is I am trying to sending proposal but I didn't get any response.

Could you see my profile, please?  Yours advise and guide it would be helpful for me.

Regards,

Jeneva **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Jeneva M wrote:

Hi, 

I am a newbie on Up work but I completed a job with good feedback and another one in progress. I received job invitation only 2/3, how can I get more invitation.  So, I have confused need more edit or add anything in my profile?

The second thing is I am trying to sending proposal but I didn't get any response.

Could you see my profile, please?  Yours advise and guide it would be helpful for me.

Regards,

Jeneva Mangsang 

1 star is not a good feedback, what went wrong there? It is generally expected that you do your absolute best on your first jobs in order to build a presentable profile. After this feedback, you should have done your utmost to remedy the situation with your client, and hopefully make him change his feedback, but it's too late now for that. 

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Jeneva M wrote:

Hi, 

Regards,

Jeneva Mangsang 

1 star is not a good feedback, what went wrong there? It is generally expected that you do your absolute best on your first jobs in order to build a presentable profile. After this feedback, you should have done your utmost to remedy the situation with your client, and hopefully make him change his feedback, but it's too late now for that. 

@Martina P wrote:

@Jeneva M wrote:

Hi, 

I am a newbie on Up work but I completed a job with good feedback and another one in progress.

1 star is not a good feedback, what went wrong there?

For days now peoples' profiles have been TOTALLY messed up. Upwork, what is going on???

The OPs profile shows like this in "default" (newest first" mode:

newest first.jpg

It ONLY shows his worst feedback, NO other job, even though this is NOT his newest job.

Then we look at "Highest rated," which shows one in progress, one that ended in September (NEWER than above) and the one in progress. Highest Rated.jpg

If we sort for "lowest rated" we don't see the low score, only the the same two as for highest rated"

lowest rated.jpg

It seems like many, MANY people's profiles appear in the most bizzare and inaccurate ways. I noticed this days ago.  Totally beeped up!

jeneva-mangsang
Community Member

Thanks for the great suggestion. But from my part when I view my feedback from the client it shows me 5 stars,  isn't correct feedback shows me?

Thanks,

Thanks for the guide and advise me. I would like to share my feedback 5 stars isn't correct or what I don't know. Please find the attached file.

Regards,

@Jeneva M wrote:

Thanks for the guide and advise me. I would like to share my feedback 5 stars isn't correct or what I don't know. Please find the attached file.

Regards,

Yes, it seems that is not your feedback at all. As Petra has pointed out, this is really messed up. No idea what's going on, but if I were you, I would open a ticket and ask about how that feedback appears on your profile. 

@Martina P wrote:

@Jeneva M wrote:

Regards,

Yes, it seems that is not your feedback at all. As Petra has pointed out, this is really messed up. No idea what's going on, but if I were you, I would open a ticket and ask about how that feedback appears on your profile. 

Wow, this is getting worse.

According to the client's history that job never even existed (!?) - It does not show on the client's work history.

Jeneva, can you confirm whether you did this job for that client or not?

Did you actually do it and refund it?

It would appear that nothing was paid (refunded??) so why is it visible on the OPs profile, why are the other two jobs NOT visible and why is it not visible on the client's history?

renatoss
Community Member

I think someone else noticed lately that some users have some weird mode of showing the jobs on they're profile. I mean I look to some guys profile now for ex and it says that he has done like 100+ jobs but on his profile, by default as you open it, you could see only like 10 random jobs. If you take your time and use those options, to chose between newest, highest...etc, only then you'll get the number of jobs done and showed at the beggining of his profile.

I just redid my profile and as part of that process logged out and searched myself.  I put in some generic search term like "technical writer" and noticed my jobs had been sorted into "relevant" and "not relevant" based on the search term.  Definitely not as bad as being slimed with someone else's bad feedback but I just wondered what was the point of some function of Upwork doing that arbitrary and subjective sort?  Surely resources spent better elsewhere like making sure people's job history is at least accurate?

a_kuntsi
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

@Jeneva M wrote:

Regards,

Wow, this is getting worse.

According to the client's history that job never even existed (!?) - It does not show on the client's work history.

Jeneva, can you confirm whether you did this job for that client or not?

Did you actually do it and refund it?

It would appear that nothing was paid (refunded??) so why is it visible on the OPs profile, why are the other two jobs NOT visible and why is it not visible on the client's history?

This is BAD, very bad. Something must be done now.

Yes, I canceled that job with the mutual understanding I refund all milestones. My query first time he gave me 5 stars feedback later I didn't check it after discussion now I came to know he gave me low feedback but the rest of one got good feedback and another one in progress its true.

Without any payment why should visible on the profile that low feedback.  If I get payment then he can leave me feedback but I didn't any payment or didn't claim any payment so why should visible on the profile. 

May I ask that client, what you suggest me?

Regards,

Jeneva M

@Jeneva M wrote:

Yes, I canceled that job with the mutual understanding I refund all milestones. My query first time he gave me 5 stars feedback later I didn't check it after discussion now I came to know he gave me low feedback but the rest of one got good feedback and another one in progress its true.

Without any payment why should visible on the profile that low feedback.  If I get payment then he can leave me feedback but I didn't any payment or didn't claim any payment so why should visible on the profile. 

May I ask that client, what you suggest me?

He can't have changed it from 5 stars to that without you allowing it but you are right. It should not be visible on your profile, let alone be visible and the other two jobs NOT be visible.

That said, you need to bear in mind that whilst you can hide (normally) a job from your profile by refunding, the private feedback will still factor into your JSS so you can expect that to be low when you get it.

And !!NO!! - do not contact the client. Leave that client completely alone, the client, by the looks of that feedback, really does not want to ear from you and once the bug is fixesd, that feedback should vanish (but as mentioned above, it will hit your JSS badly)

Thank you very much and it will be helpful for the long journey. I never mistake in the future. Thanks again

I am new to upwork but i am finding it hard to get work. I have been selected for a few projects which upwork have subsequently removed due to issues with the clients payment methods etc. Is there a specific way that people are making their cover letters? how long are they etc

acgpakistan
Community Member

My suspicions are coming to life, something is surly messing up the profiles. Robot Mad

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I can't replicate the issue with Jeneva's profile anymore as it appears that it's updated and the refunded job is gone. However, I found that our engineers are currently investigating a profile-related issue and it appears to be similar to what you are noticing with other profiles. I'll share this thread with them and will update this thread once we have more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

profile.png

It is still visible at my end, hopefully the engineers will fix these bugs soon and provide a level playing field for everyone. 

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

I can't replicate the issue with Jeneva's profile anymore as it appears that it's updated and the refunded job is gone. However, I found that our engineers are currently investigating a profile-related issue and it appears to be similar to what you are noticing with other profiles. I'll share this thread with them and will update this thread once we have more information.

I can:

default view.jpg

When sorting by any other parameter:

Highest Rated.jpg

After sorting by another parameter, returning to the sorting by "Newest First" it gets fixed.

This has been going on for at least 5 or 6 days (first time I noticed something is amiss) - probably longer.

a_kuntsi
Community Member

Petras example tells it all.

And it should not be like this. Clients don't sort them.

This Jenevas case is the worst example what happens when things are like this.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

We'd like to thank everyone who participated in this discussion, our team was aware of the issue but your reports did help to address the core problem faster, this issue is now resolved. Please do let us know if you continue seeing any problems with the way contracts are displayed when using different sorting options. 

I'd also like to note that I've merge another related thread to this one, so your replies might appear in a different order since these were two separate discussions.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
booksist
Community Member

In the last couple of days, I've seen profiles with 

- 12 jobs total / 6 in the work history section;

- 4 jobs total / zero in the work history section;

- 5 jobs / 3 in history;

and so on.

The only profile that seems unaffected is mine.* That's likely because it's me who's looking at it. I wonder how many jobs you can see on my profile.

You probably think your profile is unaffected too. It probably isn't. I've checked several random profiles, and none of them has the numbers that match.

I don't think this is a major issue, but it's been days since I've noticed it, and just wanted to hear what's going on 🙂

*Oh, my profile is affected by another glitch - the total hours stopped updating at some point.

petra_r
Community Member

@Valentina D wrote:

In the last couple of days, I've seen profiles with 

- 12 jobs total / 6 in the work history section;

- 4 jobs total / zero in the work history section;

- 5 jobs / 3 in history;

and so on.

The only profile that seems unaffected is mine.* That's likely because it's me who's looking at it. I wonder how many jobs you can see on my profile.

You probably think your profile is unaffected too. It probably isn't. I've checked several random profiles, and none of them has the numbers that match.

I don't think this is a major issue, but it's been days since I've noticed it, and just wanted to hear what's going on 🙂

*Oh, my profile is affected by another glitch - the total hours stopped updating at some point.

Yours is affected, most likely, you just can't see that it is... 
Edited, yours is fine, I checked.

It has been pointed out and flagged many times and the only response I have been able to elicit thus far is "that my concern has been shared with the team"

It actually is a MASSIVE issue...

You can find the missing contracts by re-sorting the work history via "best / lowest rated, most paid" - then you will see all, but the DEFAULT view is totally messed up.

Some poor guy who had a few good 5 star contracts and one poor one, which was refunded and should therefor not show at ALL,  was wonderingw hy he isn't getting any responses. All the client sees in default view is the poor feedback one which should be hidden as fully refunded, and the 5 star ones are all gone.

No cient who sees a freelancer with just one feedback, and that one feedback is 1 star, will look any further.

But of course it hasn't been considered worthy of any response as far as I can see (other than a terse canned "your concern was shared with the team!")

booksist
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:
Some poor guy who had a few good 5 star contracts and one poor one, which was refunded and should therefor not show at ALL,  was wonderingw hy he isn't getting any responses. All the client sees in default view is the poor feedback one which should be hidden as fully refunded, and the 5 star ones are all gone.

How disheartening!

It looks like the profiles with fewer jobs are most affected.

Btw. I've noticed other weird details on people's profiles, like "associated with: [blank]"

booksist
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:
Edited, yours is fine, I checked.

🙂 thanks!

I just saw yours is affected a bit - some 8 jobs are missing.

depends then who sees it? I mean I can see by default, opening  for the first time her profile, only 22 jobs from 46 listed as completed..3 jobs in progress, 10 in the list and 9 hidden

petra_r
Community Member

@Sebastian Renato S wrote:

depends then who sees it? I mean I can see by default, opening  for the first time her profile, only 22 jobs from 46 listed as completed..3 jobs in progress, 10 in the list and 9 hidden

No, you can click on show more at the bottom, then it brings up the rest.

Valentina, no, it isn't just people with few jobs affected, one lucky winner in this lottery has his last job and many others, not showing in default view, lucky for him as it wasn't great. He's had hundreds of jobs.

It shows when re-sorting the contracts though.

Hi Sebastian, can you please DM me a screenshot of the visible jobs in my profile? Thanks

Nevermind, I can see something similar when I'm not logged in (3+10+8)

petra_r
Community Member

@Valentina D wrote:

Hi Sebastian, can you please DM me a screenshot of the visible jobs in my profile? Thanks

Nevermind, I can see something similar when I'm not logged in (3+10+8)

When not logged in, that is by design. It does not show the contracts which resulted from job postings which were either posted with a visibility of "Upwork users only" or private invite to respect client confidentiality wishes.

booksist
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

When not logged in, that is by design. It does not show the contracts which resulted from job postings which were either posted with a visibility of "Upwork users only" or private invite to respect client confidentiality wishes.

That makes sense.

It just crossed my mind that maybe this whole thing isn't a bug - Upwork might be changing the default view for the same reason. 😕

petra_r
Community Member

@Valentina D wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

That makes sense.

It just crossed my mind that maybe this whole thing isn't a bug - Upwork might be changing the default view for the same reason. 😕

They might be, but THIS can not possibly be how it is designed to work.

Hi Valentina,

It appears you're referring to how the Work History (other profile info as well) appears when viewed from a logged-out view, is that correct? In that case, it's by design that a full freelancer profile isn't displayed and you should also be seeing a note on the profile to log into your account in order to access the complete profile. Let me know if you're referring to a different experience.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Valentina,

It appears you're referring to how the Work History (other profile info as well) appears when viewed from a logged-out view, is that correct?

No she is not.

She is referring to how endless profiles are hiding huge chunks of the freelancer's history unless and until sorted by other means via the "sort by" function hardly anyone uses or knows that it exists.

There are various reports across the forum about it. Look here and here for example.

Many, if not most profiles seem affected.

Hi Vladimir,

As Petra said, I've been talking about the mismatch I noticed while logged in.

petra_r
Community Member

Another example

Freelancer has done 26 jobs.

Default profile view (Newest first) when logged in shows 7 completed contracts, and two in process

Sorting by "Highest rated" suddenly we are able to see 11 (!!!)  in progress and 14 completed ones

Then resorting them by "Newest first" it shows the whole history, but simply refreshing the page it reverts back to two in progress and 7 completed ones.

Nothing from June onwards shows.

OK, maybe that has something to do with it....

Let's look at this one:  Opening the profile shows 30 jobs in progress and the very first completed contract appears to have been in July.

Re-sorting them by "highest" and then back to "newest" now shows lots of completed jobs since July.

So yes, the way clients see profiles is completely messed up. Maybe not ALL, but too many.

a_kuntsi
Community Member

I am hiring an illustrator right now.

All my applicants have this issue. As I have read about this from here, I know I can see all the jobs by sorting them.

But I am sure 99,99% of clients don't know that. 

Before all the jobs were there without any sorting. In my opinion, this is a BIG problem.

I feel sorry for the guy Petra mentioned (read that thread too) and everyone in that same situation.

It is bad for all of us not showing the whole history without tricks but even worse for those whose profile happens to show the worst feedback only, maybe the only one that went wrong when all the others are 5-star reviews.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for clarifying Petra and sharing the details, as well as other users who shared their insight on this thread. I'll check with our team and follow up with an update on the difference you noticed, which isn't by design based on my experience.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths