🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Application from Puerto Rico
Page options
winicfernandez
Community Member

Application from Puerto Rico

Hi,

I am applying to work as a freelance translator in Upwork. I am a U.S. citizen living in Puerto Rico, but this is not on the list in the address section, despite it being a U.S. territory, which does not allow me to apply. What can I do to be able to apply?

17 REPLIES 17
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Winic,

Thanks for your message. Can I please confirm that you wish to change the country to Puerto Rico? Thanks!

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Hi, thanks for replying.

That could work, the only issue is that Puerto Rico is not a country, technically speaking, and in most other websites it is included as a U.S. territory. But if the option is not available then I am fine with changing the country.

Are you quite sure you're not in France at the moment?

Hi Petra,

That is correct, I just finished a year abroad in France and I am going back home to Puerto Rico...and indeed, I guess if you were to classify Puerto Rico as an independent country (which it is not) I would not be able to apply to U.S. jobs, which is ultimately the country I pay taxes to...

Hi Winic,

Your country has been changed to Puerto Rico and you should be able to proceed with completing your profile. Thanks!

~ Jo-An

Untitled

@Jo-An B wrote:

Hi Winic,

Your country has been changed to Puerto Rico and you should be able to proceed with completing your profile. Thanks!

What the OP was really on about was the fact that she can't apply to US only jobs when her country is set to Puerto Rico...

Thank you Jo-An!

@Jo-An B wrote:

Hi Winic,

Is Miami, FL in Puerto Rico and 8 hours ahead of Colorado?

petra_r
Community Member

@Virginia F wrote:

@Jo-An B wrote:

Hi Winic,

Is Miami, FL in Puerto Rico and 8 hours ahead of Colorado?

She's in France at the moment (same timezone as myself) so whatever posessed them to change it to anywhere other than France is anyone's guess...

Hello Virginia,

I am a bit surprised by the subtle hostility in these few replies. As you could imply by my original question, my profile is NOT complete (you could also check the date, signed up just a few hours ago). Right when I noticed that Puerto Rico was not among the options, I picked any choice and came to ask for help. If you read the comments above before going to my profile, the 8 hours ahead will be easily explained by the fact that I just finished my studies in France and I am still here, but leaving very soon.

Must I show my plane tickets? Or should I show my passport and proof of address so that I can get answers to the question I asked?

My question was directed at the forum mod, not you.

@Winic P F wrote:
Hello Virginia,

I am a bit surprised by the subtle hostility in these few replies. As you could imply by my original question, my profile is NOT complete (you could also check the date, signed up just a few hours ago). Right when I noticed that Puerto Rico was not among the options, I picked any choice and came to ask for help. If you read the comments above before going to my profile, the 8 hours ahead will be easily explained by the fact that I just finished my studies in France and I am still here, but leaving very soon.

Must I show my plane tickets? Or should I show my passport and proof of address so that I can get answers to the question I asked?

Right when I noticed that Puerto Rico was not among the options, I picked any choice and came to ask for help. If you read the comments above before going to my profile, the 8 hours ahead will be easily explained by the fact that I just finished my studies in France and I am still here.

The questions were asked because your profile is supposed to reflect your current location truthfully.

We understand why you did what you did (as you knew no better.)

What we do not understand is why someone within Upwork changed your country from one you are not located in to another one you clearly are not located in (at this moment in time) either and how this kind of thing makes a complete mockery of the whole location verification thing, unless, as far as Upwork are concerned, they could not care less unless it involves the USA...

Understood, I also just received an email from Upwork because of location discrepancies, do not know if I was reported or something along that line.

Would you recommend I wait until I am physically in Puerto Rico to finish my profile? If I was being dishonest the last thing I would do would be asking about the location issue in this forum.

@winicfernandez wrote:

Would you recommend I wait until I am physically in Puerto Rico to finish my profile? If I was being dishonest the last thing I would do would be asking about the location issue in this forum.

Personally I'd put France now and then change it to Puerto Rico once you have arrived back home, that's the safest and most correct way to go about it 🙂

winicfernandez wrote:
Understood, I also just received an email from Upwork because of location discrepancies, do not know if I was reported or something along that line.

Nobody reported you, it is one of the checks upwork has in place. The amount of fraud on the platform is an epidemic at this point, so anybody lying about location (not you) or any other thing on their profile are zapped real quick. 

Hello! I am having the same problem. How should I proceed? thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ana,

Could you please confirm if you're located in Puerto Rico and would like to continue completing your profile with Puerto Rico as your location?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths