🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Application
Page options
studioleclaire
Community Member

Application

Hi, 

I am unable to update my location. The system just won't save the city, then gives me an error message. My application process has been inert for days. Help center and chat bot could not help. Clearing cache does not work. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Studio L wrote:

I am unable to update my location. The system just won't save the city, then gives me an error message.

Before you do anything else, you have to update your name to your real, legal name, as it appears on your passport. Presumably your parents didn't have the strange sense of humour to call you "Studio?"

You also have to rewrite your profile / overview in English, and talk about your individual skills, not those of a team.

"As is" your profile is entirely un-approvable and you are wasting your time trying to submit it for approval, it will only be declined.

Well, I guess the title of "community guru" doesn't automatically come with basic courtesy, but thanks for taking the time to relay information; I will focus on that. Perhaps I should have clarified: I have been stuck in the "create profile" area and my changes are not being saved. Therefore I am not able to leave and alter any other information at any other place. Any attempt to reach upwork.com automatically redirects me to https://www.upwork.com/ab/create-profile/introduce-yourself/, where I am, as said, unable to add a city. I am stuck in a cycle.

Regarding the profile info language and the legal name, I was unable to locate those points within the FAQs. Could you point me to these specifications so I can check what else I might be missing? Thank you. 

The skills listed are what I offer, although parts of my work might be delegated. For instance, a client will order photos and I will deliver them. But the editing might have been done by my retoucher. How is this usually handled? I am hesitant to add "retouching" as a skill, as I do not want to receive job offers for retouching images I have not shot.

Thanks for your time and regards, 

Jennifer

Studio L wrote:

The skills listed are what I offer, although parts of my work might be delegated. For instance, a client will order photos and I will deliver them. But the editing might have been done by my retoucher. How is this usually handled? I am hesitant to add "retouching" as a skill, as I do not want to receive job offers for retouching images I have not shot.

Jennifer, if you want to offer the services of a team, you'd have to create an agency, and add your retouchers etc to that agency. Then clients can order the kind of "full service" package by hiring you to take the pictures and your retoucher to to do the post-processing, or just the retoucher, and this is then paid through your agency.

On your personal profile you can ONLY offer your own, personal services and can only describe what you bring to the table, your own experience, your own education / background etc. You also need to do so in English, not German.

Essentially your profile needs to be accurate, so your name needs to be your legal name, picture be your picture and so on.

I can't help with why it isn't letting you edit anything, it might be (yet another) bug, try logging out and back in, try a different browser (Firefox generally works for me) and / or do a hard refresh. Failing that, post here again and maybe a staff member can help you by getting you contacted by support.

Thanks for the explanations, Petra. Support staff have reached out to me via email and I'll tackle their and your instructions today. I'm sure it will all even out. Have a great day!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths