🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Applying for job
Page options
philip_kavan
Community Member

Applying for job

Hello,I have been trying to land a job for so long after signing up for upwork.But it is so fraustatting to see that nobody shows any interest to me.I think maybe I suck at pursuing people,maybe I don't have a good portfolio or maybe I just don't know how to apply for jobs or write a proposal.I don't know what is wrong for certain??

As a new freelancer,I don't have any feedback or rating,as nobody is hiring me.So how can get out of this situation.What would be your suggestion for me guys?? Please tell what are the thinga that I lack in and what I have been doing wrong so far?  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barada00
Community Member

Philip, your profile is visible to Upwork users only. You can give a link to your profile if you like so that it would be easier for people to see it.

I was able to find your profile. Here's my two cents: You say you are a writer and a Wordpress expert. I would focus on only one. Writing the two makes you lose both.

If you'll write content for native English speakers, even if you can get a writing job, you'll see your JSS drop very quickly and won't be able to get other jobs because of the low JSS. There are mistakes on your profile there will be mistakes on whatever you write. I wouldn't want to discourage you but clients would prefer natives and there are so many even with the same low hourly rate of yours.

You say you can do a Wordpress site in no time. What you mean is adjust and apply new text to readymade templates (I'm guessing). This can't be considered an expertise. If you are really good at Wordpress I'd suggest you to give your energy only to that. If you can only work with templates then you should find some other specialty. Take an online course, watch youtube videos... Learn a skill that is on demand and then come back with that.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
holymell
Community Member

Well, I can't see your profile, so I don't have much to say about that.

It took me a couple months to get my first job here. It's normal.

Just make sure that you're getting right to the point in your proposals. Tell the client how you can fix their problems. Don't spend much time at all talking about yourself.

Use the first two lines to make an impact because that's all the client initially sees of your proposal.

Don't take low paying jobs. Small jobs are fine, but don't get trapped in a cycle of working for peanuts. I started out here editing a whole book for $100. It was sad. I was lucky to not be branded forever as a cheap provider. Most freelancers have trouble upping their rates when they do what I did.

Anyway, it would help if we could see your profile, too, but that's all I've got for now.

ok i am trying to make my profile available for everyone to see.

@Philip Kavan S wrote:

ok i am trying to make my profile available for everyone to see.

I regret to inform you that now, everyone can see your profile. And why you're not getting hired.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks to you Rene,You comment was really helpful to me.Now I can see what I have been doing wrong all the time.But it would be better if you were more explaining rather than being sarcastic.   

@Philip Kavan S wrote:

Thanks to you Rene,You comment was really helpful to me.Now I can see what I have been doing wrong all the time.But it would be better if you were more explaining rather than being sarcastic.   

You're right, sarcasm wasn’t helpful, sorry. In my opinion, after having read your profile and some of your portfolio pieces is that as much as you love writing, you're doing it in a foreign language. And it shows. In addition to the fact that it's flawed because of the many syntax and grammar mistakes, your writing in English is not really good. People who have a native command of English will beat you whatever you do. I don't think that this specific industry is where you should invest your time.

(And now I'm wondering why your profile got zapped.)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thank you,once again,for sharing your time and valuable opinion for helping me.

oh,i see that i can't do that because i haven't earned any money yet.But can you tell me how to write a bulletproof cover letter for a job or direct me to a resource which contains the guideline about writing one.Finally,thank you for your feedback and sharing your time to help me out.

@Philip Kavan S wrote:

oh,i see that i can't do that because i haven't earned any money yet.But can you tell me how to write a bulletproof cover letter for a job or direct me to a resource which contains the guideline about writing one.Finally,thank you for your feedback and sharing your time to help me out.

Philip the fact that you haven't earned any money yet, has nothing to do with your profile being public, unless Upwork has actually set your profile to private. If it hasn't, then just go to your settings on your main page >profile settings>profile>visibility and change it to public. 

@Philip Kavan S wrote:

I still can't see your profile, but I have found it, and don't make it completely public until you have rewritten it. Make it much shorter and to the point. What exactly can you deliver? Your client will not care a jot if you have a charming personality (this should go without saying). You have to convince your client that you are better than some two million writers on this site. The first three lines of your profile are vital, and so is your proposal. Rewrite it and then ask again! 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty landing jobs, Philip Kavan. 

I would recommend that you read up on these resources our team has compiled to help you get started on Upwork. Additionally, you may also want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hope this helps, and good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
barada00
Community Member

Philip, your profile is visible to Upwork users only. You can give a link to your profile if you like so that it would be easier for people to see it.

I was able to find your profile. Here's my two cents: You say you are a writer and a Wordpress expert. I would focus on only one. Writing the two makes you lose both.

If you'll write content for native English speakers, even if you can get a writing job, you'll see your JSS drop very quickly and won't be able to get other jobs because of the low JSS. There are mistakes on your profile there will be mistakes on whatever you write. I wouldn't want to discourage you but clients would prefer natives and there are so many even with the same low hourly rate of yours.

You say you can do a Wordpress site in no time. What you mean is adjust and apply new text to readymade templates (I'm guessing). This can't be considered an expertise. If you are really good at Wordpress I'd suggest you to give your energy only to that. If you can only work with templates then you should find some other specialty. Take an online course, watch youtube videos... Learn a skill that is on demand and then come back with that.

Thanks to you.Your feedback was really helpful for me.

Thanks to you Baris,for your valuable comments and suggestion.From now on I will skip applying for jobs for a while and start mastering Wordpress or some other things which I can do better.I will try to add some soild work examples in my portfolio and I will be also working on my profile description and cover letter.

For everyone "You see that,my whole point of coming to this community discussion forum,was to find out what is wrong with me and most of the comments from you people were really helpful to me.I hope that you will continue delivering your support to new freelancers like me who are suffering from skill gap and lack of knowledge. " 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths