🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Arbitrary Canceling
Page options
andrews-daniel
Community Member

Arbitrary Canceling

I just received my first contract on Upwork yesterday, but today I see that the client has canceled the contract for no apparent reason. I responded in a timely manner to his offer and received no correspondence outside of that initial offer. Why might this have occurred, and will this negatively affect my JSS? Is there any avenue by which to report this kind of client behavior? I'm new to Upwork, so I'm hoping that this kind of inefficiency is against the rules.

4 REPLIES 4
remco89
Community Member

I'm relatively new to this, but as far as I'm aware the client can cancel a contract whenever they want. As long as you have quite a bit of good feedbakc, it should be fine. The same happened to me and my feedback stayed unaffected. Sorry buddy!

Freelancing is very different from the bricks and mortar world.  Either party is free to contract and also free to cancel a contract, with or without a reason.  My best advice is to forget about it and just keep moving forward.

kat303
Community Member

@Daniel A wrote:

I just received my first contract on Upwork yesterday, but today I see that the client has canceled the contract for no apparent reason. I responded in a timely manner to his offer and received no correspondence outside of that initial offer. Why might this have occurred, and will this negatively affect my JSS? Is there any avenue by which to report this kind of client behavior? I'm new to Upwork, so I'm hoping that this kind of inefficiency is against the rules.

As said, clients as well as freelancers can cancel a contract any time. As to why, only the client knows that answer. If this was a fixed rate job, did the client fund escrow? And did you do any work at all before the contract was cancelled? And if this was an hourly job, AND you used Tracker and annotated the screen shots it took, you'll be paid for the hours your work next week.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there any avenue by which to report this kind of client behavior?"

Daniel:

One of the things that makes freelancing on Upwork so great is that it's a two-way street.

A client can cancel a contract at any time, for any reason.

And so can you, as a freelancer.

Now, it would be professional of you, and courteous of you, to communicate effectively with a client who is still relying on you to work for her... But if you don't want to explain your reasons? Or give any notice? You don't have to.

Upwork's penalty for closing a contract without notice? None at all.

Not for you. And not for the client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths