🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Are PDF Instructions normal?
Page options
grace_huffman
Community Member

Are PDF Instructions normal?

I'm relativly new to Upwork, but have been applying off and on over the past few months to try and gain my first clients. I was recently invited to apply for a job, but when I did, I simply got a message from the client saying I will be given further instructions, and attached a PDF titled "JOB OFFER.INSTRUCTION." Is this normal? I'm leery about even opening it because the last time a potential client contacted me for further discussion they were banned from Upwork.

2 REPLIES 2
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Grace, 

I don't have information as to how clients choose to send more information about the jobs they posted, so I will not be able to confirm if this is normal practice.

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork. Hopefully these resources will help you identify red flags when applying for job on Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Are PDF instructions normal?

No. This is NOT the norm.

However, it violates no Upwork ToS rule for a client or prospective client to send instructions using a PDF file.

And although most clients don't send instructions that way, some legitimate clients DO send instructions or job description details using a PDF file.

Is the file potentially dangerous?

Technically the answer is yes.

But it is unlikely.

A PDF file is a pretty common and typically safe way to send information. But a PDF file CAN contain malicious code/virus/etc.

If you are concerned, perhaps because you received a PDF file from a stranger, but interested in reading the file, there are things you can do, including:

- Ask the client to send plain text through the Upwork messenger tool

- Use virus scan software to scan the PDF file

- Use a sandbox (there are many sandboxing services available)

- Download the PDF file to another computer, such as one at a public library, Internet cafe, or to a computer owned by your hacker friend who isn't afraid of anonymous PDF files

- Use a Mac OS X computer

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths