🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Are ad-posting jobs legitimate? Do they help ...
Page options
robcortex
Community Member

Are ad-posting jobs legitimate? Do they help my reputation?

I recently decided to take a break from Upwork while I work on getting some web development projects done for my portfolio so I can switch over to being a Web Developer and have a concrete identity on the platform .

However, I recently got offered a job where I would help post an ad on a site, in exchange for a good rating. They said the ad costs money, but they will send me the money for the ad plus my pay.

Although I aim to return to the platform as a Web Developer, I'm not against being a Virtual Assistant until I can succeed as a Web Developer, and the job was listed as being a Virtual Assistant job.

So now I'm thinking "Aw **bleep**, here we go again. another scam." But they said they would send the compensation via Upwork or PayPal, and they look to be a reputable client with several jobs, several hirings, high ratings, verification, etc.

So, I've got this to ask: If I take a VA job for the reputation, will this hurt me in the future when I work as a WebDev? Could this be another scam? It does not look like one but I'm still very new to all of this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Justin:
You have accepted a contract with this client.

There's nothing wrong with accepting a contract to help do marketing work.

A client CAN legitimately hire a freelancer to place ads.

But YOU are a serious, intelligent professional.

The client can't trick you into doing preposterous things.

Of course you know that you can not exchange money OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform. That means the client can't pay you via PayPal. The client can only send you money through Upwork. You also know that the client can pay for things directly, without asking YOU to pay for them.

All you need to do is think about how YOU would act if YOU were the client.

Would YOU hire a freelancer and then ask a freelancer to spend her own money to place ads?

No.

What would YOU do?
If you were the client, you would set up an account using your personal credit card or company credit card, and that account is what pays for the ads. So the freelancer would never use her own money. OR you would pay the freelancer IN ADVANCE any of the money needed to place the ads. You would take into account the fact that Upwork fees are levied on expense reimbursement payments. So if this is a new freelancer/client relationship, the fee will be 20%. You would make sure you pay enough money IN ADVANCE to cover the ad placement costs AND Upwork fees.

You would do this because you are a serious professional and a decent human being.

If you have any questions at all, then just ask us here in the Forum.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It would be a serious violation for you to accept a payment via PayPal or any other method other than Upwork - both your account and the client's account could be permanently banned. And this does sound like a scam, or unethical at best

Oh okay. I already accepted the offer but I have no accepted any payment at all so far.

Is it okay if I share who it is? Should I proceed with caution? They seem verified and highly approved.

Justin:
You have accepted a contract with this client.

There's nothing wrong with accepting a contract to help do marketing work.

A client CAN legitimately hire a freelancer to place ads.

But YOU are a serious, intelligent professional.

The client can't trick you into doing preposterous things.

Of course you know that you can not exchange money OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform. That means the client can't pay you via PayPal. The client can only send you money through Upwork. You also know that the client can pay for things directly, without asking YOU to pay for them.

All you need to do is think about how YOU would act if YOU were the client.

Would YOU hire a freelancer and then ask a freelancer to spend her own money to place ads?

No.

What would YOU do?
If you were the client, you would set up an account using your personal credit card or company credit card, and that account is what pays for the ads. So the freelancer would never use her own money. OR you would pay the freelancer IN ADVANCE any of the money needed to place the ads. You would take into account the fact that Upwork fees are levied on expense reimbursement payments. So if this is a new freelancer/client relationship, the fee will be 20%. You would make sure you pay enough money IN ADVANCE to cover the ad placement costs AND Upwork fees.

You would do this because you are a serious professional and a decent human being.

If you have any questions at all, then just ask us here in the Forum.

I know if I was a client I would expect my freelancer to have all the tools they need for the job and wouldn't ask them to spend any of their money or do anything shady.

I'm also trying to think, anything where I receive or spend money has a paper trail. In what forseeable way or unforseeable way can this backfire if the client is dealing in something unethical, and it can lead back to me by following said paper trail?

However this turns out, thank you for your help. It most likely will damage my reputation, but I am considering closing this job.

Coming to this site without being an established web developer was a mistake from the beginning. I think I will just train up some more, create my own site, and try my luck more directly on LinkedIn when I am ready.

If you close this contract now, without doing any work, then it will not appear in any way on your profile page.

A zero-pay contract can't appear on your profile page.

A zero-pay contract will NOT affect your JSS... unless the client leaves negative feedback.

If YOU close the contract, it is possible that the client will never leave feedback of any kind.

If the client closes the contract, the client MUST leave feedback.

If the client leaves feedback, that feedback might be negative. It might not be negative. I don't know what the client would do.

But if you don't want to mess around with this, then definitely close the contract, even if it means JSS needs to take a slight hit.

Remember that the impact that jobs have on JSS is weighted based on the dollar value fo the job. So in theory, any possible negative impact on JSS from this job would be minimal.

Well how do I close a contract? I found a guide on Upwork showing how to do it, but I do not see an option for doing so.

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

[click on name of contract]

That takes you to contract page

Click on "Three Dots" icon.

Click on "End Contract"

I did not see that option there, but it is too late now.

The client ended the contract and demands a refund of $5.00, even though I have not done any work at all yet other than create a separate email account for the tasks of this job.

I really don't see why I hate to pay five dollars for a job I have not done with money I have not received, unless it is because I agreed to it. Should I pay it?

I have filed a dispute explaining the situation, so we'll see.

I think I'm just gonna stick to welding.

Five dollars?

Who cares.

If you billed for $5 worth of work, then refund the $5.

Don't argue with this client over that small amount of work and small amount of money.

If this $5 was from work you did THIS WEEK, then all you need to do is go to your work diary and delete the time segment(s).

Then the client will never be billed for that amount.

If this $5 is money that was already billed to the client, from work done last week or previously, then you CAN issue a $5 refund now.

Alright, I'll pay him as soon as possible, and I'm never working on this site ever again.

Justin R wrote:

I really don't see why I hate to pay five dollars for a job I have not done with money I have not received, unless it is because I agreed to it. Should I pay it?

I have filed a dispute explaining the situation, so we'll see.

You don't have to pay $5 out of your own pocket - the client is asking for a refund, not a payment. He must have put money into the escrow account when he hired you, and now he (understandably) wants it back. Payments are held in escrow until the freelancer submits work, that's why you haven't received the money yet. There's no point in starting a dispute, since you haven't done any work; just approve the refund request and close the project. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths